Citizens Band Radio – License Proposal

Just a off topic area for people to come and post.

Moderator: JR Moderator

kalamata
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Name: Jose

Post by kalamata » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 14:41 PM

I know that what I am about to post in this site is going to be disagreed with, but I honestly think that is time to request a change for the better good of the Citizens Band Radio Services. I will be using Citizens Band Radio Service, Citizen Band, CB Radio or CB interchangeably through this proposal.

I have been listening on the CB since I was about 8 years old. I remember being able to sit and listen to a decent conversation and actually learn something from it or get a good road report while driving down the highway. I really got really into CBs again in the 90’s and during that time you will still be able to have a decent conversation and remember listening to ladies on the CBs having a good decent conversation with her friend, but unfortunately now a days you can’t even turn ON your CB Radio without hearing a bunch of guys cursing and not allowing others to talk. Yes, there has always been some competition on who has the better radio, better antenna system and even the better amplifier (which is illegal and I do not encourage that practice) but that is ok. The purpose is to have good time and meet people.

Unfortunately a lot of good people have left the Citizens Band Radio due to the problems mention above. I miss being able to sit behind my CB and having a good decent talk on it. I still have my CB at home and on in the car for emergencies. My kids now want to follow on my foot steps on the radios and are constantly asking me to allow them to use the CB radio at home so they can talk to me while I am around town, but I am afraid to let them use the CB Radio because what they may hear on it. I would like to have new good people to come back into the hobby and once again be able to have good conversation, help them to setup their antennas and station and have a good time. Also this is a great way to get our kids and teens interested in something good and where you make lifelong friendships with all kinds of people.

Citizens Band Radio is a relax, fun and educative way of meeting people, it should be decent, courteous and friendly for new comers, not something that is scary to turn ON the power button, because you are afraid that you are tuned in the wrong channel at the time when someone is cursing the other guy out.

I think it will be a good idea to implement a licensing system for CB Radio again, as in the 70s. Every Citizens Band Radio Operator should be registered and licensed, a handle (callsign) should be assigned to every licensed operator (it may be of his choosing or from a handle pull (optional)) and a one time licensing fee of 15.00 dollars and no testing required. License granted for 10 years, two years of grace period after expiration for renewal and 8.00 dollars renewal fee. The purpose for this license is to be able to monitor, warn and legally prosecute those that do not comply with FCC licensing rules. Operator required identifying his station every 10 minutes and/or when requested by anyone listening in the frequency (channel).

A system of moderators can be implemented to assist the FCC to monitor the Citizen Band and a warning system can be implemented to warn those that don’t comply with
common courtesy and appropriate language. A warning can be sent to the operator via email and/or USPS Mail. A database of the warning can be stored in a server and once 3 warnings have been reached to a particular licensed CB Operator, a notification will be sent to the FCC with the licensed CB Operator handle and address information for the FCC to take the proper legal action against the licensed CB Operator in question.

Example: CB Offender can be fined by the FCC with:
1st Offense fine of 50.00 dollars
2nd Offense fine of 100.00 dollars
3rd Offense fine of 250.00 dollars
4th Offense fine of 500.00 dollars and 1 year suspension of CB license
5th Offense fine of 2,500.00 dollars and 3 years suspension of CB license
6th Offense fine of 5,000.00 dollars and CB license revoked for life and banned of ever owning a CB Radio again.

Example: If the CB Offender, also holds an Amateur Radio Operator license can be fined by the FCC with:
1st Offense fine of 100.00 dollars
2nd Offense fine of 250.00 dollars
3rd Offense fine of 500.00 dollars and 1 year suspension of CB license
4th Offense fine of 2,500.00 dollars and 3 years suspension of CB license and Amateur license
5th Offense fine of 5,000.00 dollars and CB license and Amateur license revoked for life and banned of ever owning any two way radio again.

Note: Amateur Radio Operators have full knowledge of rules and regulations and should carry themselves on the Citizens Band in the same manner as in any other Band they are authorized to operate.

The FCC has the power to prosecute any Citizens Band Radio Operator now, but the problem is that the FCC does not have a way to track down the CB Operator since at the current time there are no database of name and address of any CB Radio Operator. I understand that tracking down someone without a starting point is very difficult, time consuming and will required a lot of resources from the FCC. For these reasons and for the well being of the CB Radio Hobby, I propose that the CB Licensing be reinstated.

As I said in the beginning of this proposal, I know that a lot of people will disagree with me on this proposal, but I think is needed in order to save the Citizens Band Radio Services as a hobby.

Kalamata

I know this is a long shot and that you guys will think that I am crazy but we need to look pass us and look at what are we going to leave to our childrens. With a license system in place we can probably revert the damage that has been done to the frequency and get rid off those that are no good to it. I will love to hear any comment that you have about this (good or bad) any piece of information will be used to address this propossal to better fit everyones ideas.

Thank you.

Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Cell Phone: 1-800-MUD-DUCK
Referrals: 1

Re: Citizens Band Radio – License Proposal

Post by Bombero » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 14:59 PM

kalamata wrote:Citizens Band Radio – License Proposal

I know that what I am about to post in this site is going to be disagreed with, but I honestly think that is time to request a change for the better good of the Citizens Band Radio Services. I will be using Citizens Band Radio Service, Citizen Band, CB Radio or CB interchangeably through this proposal.

As I said in the beginning of this proposal, I know that a lot of people will disagree with me on this proposal, but I think is needed in order to save the Citizens Band Radio Services as a hobby.

I will love to hear any comment that you have about this (good or bad) any piece of information will be used to address this propossal to better fit everyones ideas.

Thank you.

Hey Guys...

Let's try to keep this topic/discussion on the right track.

Everyone has the right to their opinion...but let's keep it civil.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

http://www.hamqsl.com/solar101pic.php

Ohio_359
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Ohio_359 » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 15:26 PM

This would surly be the last nail in the CB coffin. Those who didn't leave radio altogether for IMs and SMS have moved on to HAM since code was dropped. Forcing the remaining CB community to licensure would likely be the end of it altogether.

BTW, there are licsenced frequencies that you can use to escape the garbage.

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 15:46 PM

Hi kalamata,
I believe the first thing you would need to do is contact Tom Wheeler, he is the chairman of the FCC. Ask him about your proposal and how to go about getting it implemented. After that I think you will have to get a legitimate petition going and you will need in the neighborhood of 15,000 signatures minimum. After that it needs to be submitted to the commissioners of the FCC for approval. When they are finished reviewing it, it goes to their bosses, the Senate and House to be funded since they would need to add people for the paperwork and policing. It is a lot to the government practices, it would not be changed in a day, all in all it will probably take 5 to 10 years to have the rules changed, that was about how long it took to eliminate the licenses.
Good luck on your quest,

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Radio: Many
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Name: Mark
Home Phone: Unit 613 Boston
Cell Phone: CBRT 18204
Referrals: 2

Post by dirtyjob » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 16:13 PM

the fcc abandoned licensing the cb band for the simple reason they do not have the resources to babysit, many people that left the radio did so because it simply became obsolete, pc's/cellphones took over, cb died its that simple. While yes the hobby is great, there is not a craze like it was, cause its no longer new. I personally like the hear the crazy annoying people on cb, thats makes it what it is, a say anything, come as you are, talk as you will band, If you want censored tight lipped conversations you can become a licensed ham, I am licensed and i still prefer to talk on 11 meters because its fun and i dont have to watch what i say. If cb annoys YOU then get licensed and become a ham operator.

If you want to require a license to talk on cb you may as well go the extra mile and give 11 meters back to hams.

But be warned if you do that, there will always be pirate operators that wont give a **Censored** and talk anyways. do you think people are gonna actually apply for a license for cb ??? What do you propose be done for the once that dont?? Do you think the fcc has the man power to track down people that transmit without a license all around this country ??

the fcc has bigger fish to fry than some kid swearing on a cb.

btw i like how you give up to 6 chances in your proposal, man your a patient person..lol baseball only gives 3 strikes after all.

Your talking about millions of dollars to police something no one cares about , and to be honest no one really cares too much about ham radio either or even knows what it is all about outside of the radio hobbyists.
Contacting the fcc about cb radio should make them laugh a bit and the newer guys over at the fcc say "whats cb"
I first got into radio in 1981, you didnt need a license then since they dropped it in 1980, cb is what it is and trust me, back in the day was WAY worse.
kalamata wrote:
The FCC has the power to prosecute any Citizens Band Radio Operator now, but the problem is that the FCC does not have a way to track down the CB Operator since at the current time there are no database of name and address of any CB Radio Operator. I understand that tracking down someone without a starting point is very difficult, time consuming and will required a lot of resources from the FCC.
If they want you, they WILL find you. License makes no difference on that.
That is to say, if you called me and told me you had a complaint about operators in your area The first thing I would ask was where you are and what frequency the operators in question use, they would dispatch to that area and find them easily, they dont need an address/name its simple signal tracking and anyone can do it.
They have to want you and swearing complaints are not going to warrant that. They come out for Interference issues from stations interfering with big money/public safety entities.

I personally knew a station that was interfereing with the local Hospital, the fcc payed him a personal visit very quickly. This had nothing to do with license info, they simply had a viable complaint from a Hospital that warranted action, how did they find him, it's simple they cased out the area and tracked his signal to his door.

I aggree with the other poster that said re enabling licensing for cb is not saving it, it is killing it.
Last edited by dirtyjob on Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 17:37 PM, edited 5 times in total.
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - W2IHY 8 Band EQ - W2IHY EQPlus
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204

(Click image to enlarge)

coach4life
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 LTD
Antenna: Wilson 1000
Name: Tom

Post by coach4life » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 17:28 PM

My first radio came with the application in the box. Filled it out, got the license in about a month and went on my way to determine it was a waste of about a month. After all thoes years I still remember the number - KAMV8940. Don't have a clue why. The only thing back then was you could hear the foul language more clearly because there was less traffic. As the others have comented, I dont feel it would make a difference any more now then it did back then.
Tom

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, your right"

rayray1963
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Old School
Name: Ray

Post by rayray1963 » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 17:37 PM

The comments and language that you hear on the air now days is a direct reflection of the society we live in. To actually clean up the air waves you would first have to change the way people think.
Freedom Isn't Free, Someone Has To Pay

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 17:43 PM

I started on the cb radio in 1972 and every channel here was full of talking 24 hours a day. you could hardly get on the radio and high school kids were on them all the time. more than likely about 1/4 of them is all that had a license even back then and the language was just as bad then as it is now. I was in civil defense back then and we went out to monitor tornados and report back to the police station where the base was and most of the time you had to relay your findings from 1 radio to the next about 1 mile apart just to get info to the base to sound a tornado alarm.

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 17:47 PM

Bombero wrote:
kalamata wrote:Citizens Band Radio – License Proposal

I will love to hear any comment that you have about this (good or bad) any piece of information will be used to address this propossal to better fit everyones ideas.

Thank you.

Hey Guys...

Let's try to keep this topic/discussion on the right track.

Everyone has the right to their opinion...but let's keep it civil.

Bombero
Man oh Man... I could have a field day explaining why this will never fly...But I would have writer's cramp by the time I got to the end of my post...

I will say this...If you just want to have a license to talk on the radio...Check into getting your HAM ticket...Not that HAM Bands are any "Cleaner" than CB.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 19:14 PM

LOL.... No way no how. As already posted, no one actually cares about CB radio. Have you heard the language at your local shopping mall, ball game, or any other event that attracts a large amount of people from different backgrounds? It's no different... You can't change people, just your own channel selector.

Slim Pickins
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Realistic Navajo 457
Name: Paul

Post by Slim Pickins » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 19:28 PM

Would we have to all stop talking to stations more than 150mi away too? :lol:

Slim
73,Slim

Insanity is hereditary......you get it from your children.

kalamata
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by kalamata » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 20:28 PM

I want to thank you all for your imput on this. Specially to MDYoungblood that gave me a great starting point there.

I guess that I was lucky that I grew up in Puerto Rico and that the CB Operators there had moral, decensy and were educators which encourage me to continue on it and I will like to pass it on the next generations. I guess have to thank the old timers for that. I think that CB should be fun and you can say almost anything on it, but always keeping in mind that there may be ladies and childrens listening to what we say, unfortunately CB Operators have forgotten of those values and I mean no disrespect to anyone. I desagree with some of the comments that people left because CB is obsolete, I had people go to my home and donate their equipment to me just because they were disgusted with the way some people conducted themselves on the air. As simple as that. Trust me, I have been thinking of ways to get the CBs back to were everyone can turn them ON not being scare of what they may here there.

Yes this may surprise you, I am a Ham Radio Operator since 2002. I was nice with the opportunities in the fines, my personal believe is that Ham Radio Operators that conduct themselves on CB in the way they do (as I know a few) should be fine with 1,000 dollars right from the get go, as they are licensed and have full knowledge of the rules and regulations.

Anyway I really appreciate your imput, your time and your honesty. What bothers me is that I am going to have to allow my son playing those games while his autism allow him to study the Ham Radio book which seems to be a big challenge for him.

Thank you very much,

Kalamata

222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Icom 746
Antenna: Sirio Vecotor 4K
Name: Sean McCarthy

Post by 222DBFL » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 21:08 PM

Won't work as there are just too many people that don't have the resources to purchase or get to or around a computer or an office. I agree 110% with the other posts, it's the society we live in. It's how you were brought up, mainly it's the parenting, I have 4 kids and know how hard it is to raise them in today's world even compared to when I was a kid back in the early 80's. I'm 38 now and have been in an out of cb radio for quite some time, last being around 2002. I do remember that you could have a decent conversation even then, but there were still the same old garbage heads that inhabit radio as before. Same crap, different time. If one doesn't like what they hear on cb, turn on the tv and listen for a while and you will soon realize that tv is probably worse than cb radios. JMO. God bless.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra

Post by 231 » Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 23:35 PM

I was brought up in the CB world back in the 70's too and there are certainly differences in society then versus today, no question about it. For example, when potty mouthed operators became unruly the locals would typically track them down and take care of business themselves without fear of legal or law enforcement intervention/reprisals. Not so anymore. Back then the hecklers knew the consequences they faced from their piers were much harsher than anything the FCC could dish out. Needless to say it didn't totally stop it, but surely confined it.

I really think the amount of opposition to licensing would be too great. And honestly as much as I dislike the potty mouths myself, it's a fact of the world today and the best way to get through that isn't through legislation and restriction, but through teaching our kids personal responsibility. Something not easily done when society is pushing to divide the family structure. All the more reason to hold it tight. Nevertheless, I'd be opposed to it simply because you propose to penalize all for a select few. That seems to becoming a habit in the states lately.

Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Radio: HR2510

Post by Circuit Breaker » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 5:57 AM

I hear what you're saying and I'm not opposed to a license since I already have an amateur radio license - but this proposal will never fly. Not with the FCC and not with anyone who uses CB regularly. The FCC gave up on CB long ago. I won't go into detail about why their efforts failed, but suffice it to say they simply don't have the money or the manpower. Besides, CB is but a miniscule slice of the radio spectrum and simply doesn't warrant any attention in the FCC's eyes unless someone complains long enough and loud enough about something - such as a neighbor bleeding into someone's stereo or telephone. Beyond that - they don't do much of anything. Even though it's illegal to work DX on CB, I have yet to hear of ANYONE ever getting cited for it - even when licenses were required. So I don't really understand why they won't change the rules regarding it since they don't enforce it. But then our government is famous for making useless legislation.
Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-8100
Icom IC-2820 (with D-Star capability)
Kenwood TR-751 2M all mode mobile
Kenwood TM-3530 220 MHz mobile
Uniden Washington Base
Uniden HR-2510
Icom ID-92 HT
SteppIR 40-6M Yagi
OCF 75/80M dipole
Diamond V2000A 6M/2M/70cm ground plane antenna
Antron 99

coach4life
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 LTD
Antenna: Wilson 1000
Name: Tom

Post by coach4life » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 6:01 AM

Thanks 231. I kinda wanted to go that route but being a newbe didn't want to get my knuckles slaped with a ruler.
Tom

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, your right"

222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by 222DBFL » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 6:19 AM

I am new here too, bit not to the world of CB, and I 110% agree 231, it starts at home!! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And I agree as well that legislation and law is not the answer, just more lining to someone's pocket or purse!! To the poster, do some good old fashion detective work and get the ones that are causing the issue, not the rest that don't use foul language and are respectful to their peers and others in general. I learned a very long time ago, kill em' with kindness!!!
Check the other CB forums out and I am sure you can find the ones that are the root of your issue, don't let the 1% of bad, make you not like the 99% good. God bless.

Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Radio: President HR2600
Antenna: Sirio 27 tornado
Name: Cliff
Home Phone: 307-674-1541

Post by Rabbit Ears » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 6:27 AM

*KTWAPPPT!!* Owwww..... :pale:

Yeah........ Give The politicians another EXCUSE to waste out hard-earned and bought tax dollars. What we need to do is to tempt the fates *all three of them*. For have an afternoon laugh....one of those old crones may well cut the hair-thin thread that hangs our country's FATE in the balance.

Don't tempt fate.... Dare...give them an inch???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Not on my watch!! I love my freedom....

USN 1979-1991
Read the Constitution.
FREEDOM and USA FOREVER
STAND UP FOR THE FLAG!!!

President Grant DX four button (1983 model) PC-999 *in my truck*
President HR2600 (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2510 (backup base) *solar powered*
K40 magmount
Microphones: Turner +3 *two of them* Turner Super Side Kick
Palomar TX-150 amp
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded)
BIRD 43P
Sirio Tornado 27 5/8 wave antenna

kalamata
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by kalamata » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 7:17 AM

222DBFL wrote:Won't work as there are just too many people that don't have the resources to purchase or get to or around a computer or an office. I agree 110% with the other posts, it's the society we live in. It's how you were brought up, mainly it's the parenting, I have 4 kids and know how hard it is to raise them in today's world even compared to when I was a kid back in the early 80's. I'm 38 now and have been in an out of cb radio for quite some time, last being around 2002. I do remember that you could have a decent conversation even then, but there were still the same old garbage heads that inhabit radio as before. Same crap, different time. If one doesn't like what they hear on cb, turn on the tv and listen for a while and you will soon realize that tv is probably worse than cb radios. JMO. God bless.
I am sorry 222DBFL, but I don't understand what computer has to do with the licensing? No one needs to buy a computer for CB, they buy it for personal use or in the case of us Ham Radio operators for use in conjunction with our radios for digital modes. Which by the way I will love to do digital modes on CB, I know that is not allow under the FCC rules, but should be interesting.

There is something that you said that it really shock me. "it's the society we live in. It's how you were brought up, mainly it's the parenting" I know that we live in a society which a lot of them still behave as cave-men, but that does not mean that I need to follow them and behave as one of them. The way we were brought up has nothing to do with the way you will conduct yourself in life. One should better himself every day I get up every day reflecting on what I did wrong yesterday to make sure that I won't do it again. I also sit down with my kids and explain the consequenses of my good and bad actions so they have an understanding of what happens in life when you make good or bad decisions. I think that is part of the problem that we have in society, in the radio and every where we go, PLEOPLE ALLOW THEIR PASS TO DICTATE THEIR FUTURE AND DON'T DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE IT.

Have you ever heard the story of Paul Teutul, Sr. This is the owner of Orange County Chopper and became famous thanks to the show American Choppers. He had a very rough childhood, was a drunk and drug addict but he didn't allow for his past rule his future, he sober up and got clean and look at him today. He has a book titled "The Ride of a Lifetime" great read.

Thanks for your imput, God Bless you and your family.

Kalamata

Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 9:45 AM

Thank you all for your comments.

Yes I was expecting opossition to this proposal and I am getting it, which is ok. I also expected suggestions to the problem that we face with the CB community, but so far I only got and which I am going to take as a suggestion of tracking down the offender and beat him up, which is not ok. What I am coming to realize is that people take things for what they are, it was a dump 20 years ago, it is a dump today and they spect them to continue to be a dump for ever. What a shame.

Anyway I am still open to suggestions. If the license proposal idea don't work, I still hope that here are some souls out there that care enough to help make a change.

Kalamata

Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bombero » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 8:15 AM

kalamata wrote:Note: Amateur Radio Operators have full knowledge of rules and regulations and should carry themselves on the Citizens Band in the same manner as in any other Band they are authorized to operate.

... computer for CB, for use in conjunction with our radios for digital modes. Which by the way I will love to do digital modes on CB, I know that is not allow under the FCC rules, but should be interesting.
Hmm...wonder what the fine for that should be?

Bombero
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.

383 Boogieman

Ohio_359
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Ohio_359 » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 8:25 AM

kalamata wrote:us Ham Radio operators
I see your motivation now, maybe you should have been more forthcoming in your OP.

The DB
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Galaxy DX 55HP
Antenna: ¼λ Mobile Antenna.
Name: Steve

Post by The DB » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 10:24 AM

I to am a ham radio operator. There is nothing wrong with being a ham and talking on the CB band. There are any number of benefits to also having a CB in a vehicle, and I have friends that I actively keep in contact with in both communities... Further, I am a member of a ham radio emergency communications group, and do you know what we have available in our mobile communications trailer? Yep, a CB radio, along with a marine radio, and a GMRS radio.

Anyway, getting on topic.

I honestly don't see such a law happening, and even if it does it will likely chase away many who actually use the CB band. Unfortunately that is the reality of the situation. A better solution would be to work with the laws to try and get the FCC to enforce the laws that currently exist.

I have some thoughts on this if your interested. However, while the goals are largely the same, I'm not sure those thoughts fit in with the context of the thread...

The DB

Ohio_359
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Ohio_359 » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 10:35 AM

The DB wrote:I to am a ham radio operator. There is nothing wrong with being a ham and talking on the CB band. There are any number of benefits to also having a CB in a vehicle, and I have friends that I actively keep in contact with in both communities... Further, I am a member of a ham radio emergency communications group, and do you know what we have available in our mobile communications trailer? Yep, a CB radio, along with a marine radio, and a GMRS radio.
Nobody said, or even hinted that there was something wrong with a HAM using CB.

The DB
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by The DB » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 10:41 AM

Perhaps I read into what you said, if so appologies...

The DB

Ohio_359
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Ohio_359 » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 11:07 AM

The DB wrote:Perhaps I read into what you said, if so appologies...

The DB
My point was simply this. If someone has taken the time to become a HAM, and has access to frequencies from 23cm to 160m, then why all the attention to the 11m band? Most HAM operators were CB operators who left the 11m band for a plethora of reasons, but then why return to suggest such a monumental task? To me anyway, the intentions of the suggestion are different depending on the angle that it's coming from. Are you somebody getting back into CB and comparing childhood memories? Or are you an ex CB'er who is returning from amateur land? To me it matters, I like to be aware of intentions.

I think the 11m meter band is pretty much a deserted wasteland of what it used to be, but I do think it breeds new HAM operators left as is. If operators had no "unlicensed" service to get their feet wet and had to jump right in by taking a test, I believe it would stymy the unprecedented growth that the HAM community is now enjoying. But that's just my opinion obviously.

222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by 222DBFL » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 14:29 PM

If you understood my post I was trying to say the resources needed like an office or a computer in order for you to take a test or pay for a license, are not available to everyone that's using a cb, believe me, I am not one myself but I know quite a few that I do talk to that are one a restricted type income. And as far as being brought up, it surely does start at home and with the parents. You can say what you want but facts are facts and you should check yours as it is well known that children from broken homes are more likely to become a criminal or an addict. I have been around quite a few of these type of people and is it wasn't for my parents I would probably be one as well.

[edited by 231]

kalamata
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by kalamata » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 15:26 PM

Ohio_359

I am not living in child memories or in Hamlandia I am just pointing out that some of the people on the CB Radio are a disgrace to human race and should not be allowed to operate any kind of two way communication device. If they want to talk they way they talk it should be in a closed line like a telephone or cell phone where the only one listening to the garbage that comes out of their mouth is the one on the other end. My problem comes from a personal experience where a guy insulted my wife while my kids where on the car with us, just because I identified myself on the channel.

222DBFL

I have not mention anything about testing for the license, look at it as a fishing license. You pay 5 or 10 dollars to get register and processing the license for a 10 years period, the purpose of the registration and license if to locate and identified the offender. This will make the man hunt a lot easier for the authorities. If you are caught without a license your equipment will be confiscated by the authorities. It is only a way to keep control. Hey it is easier to have CB banned all together all I have to do it make a case, make a few recording and present it to the right people, the local news and start on my county, take it from there.

Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bombero » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 15:50 PM

This post was allowed for discussion..NOT debate. As stated in the onset of this discussion...Everyone is entitled to their OWN opinion. If the argument/personal disagreement/'pot stirring' continues...this thread will be locked.

Bombero

383 Boogieman

Ohio_359
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Ohio_359 » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 16:15 PM

kalamata wrote:Hey it is easier to have CB banned all together all I have to do it make a case, make a few recording and present it to the right people, the local news and start on my county, take it from there.
Well there ya go, you have a plan of action together already!

redlght
Donor
Donor
Radio: a few diifferent
Antenna: astroplane

Post by redlght » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 17:02 PM

As i see it the cb band is what it is a public forum to use as you see fit, be it some may tend to use it as a profanity soap box others know right from wrong and conduct them selves correctly. The FCC I doubt will get back involved in it unless the offender is splashing GOV or critical functions of public or private sectors health care, traffic control and such. If I was going to take on such a task for the sake of family oriented recreational use of the cb band I would start a rally for a gentleman's agreement like SSB'ers did to make a few channels or times on said channels family safe if enough want the change it would follow suit. With other countries having access to cb band radios and not governed by the same rules it is impossible to enforce such a law these days. In the end there are many good people on the band and there will always be the a holes around to mess it up at times so I just move channels, ignore it and do my thing or turn it off. That is my 3.78967 cents. ~PeAcE~

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 17:40 PM

I have not mention anything about testing for the license, look at it as a fishing license. You pay 5 or 10 dollars to get register and processing the license for a 10 years period, the purpose of the registration and license if to locate and identified the offender. This will make the man hunt a lot easier for the authorities. If you are caught without a license your equipment will be confiscated by the authorities. It is only a way to keep control. Hey it is easier to have CB banned all together all I have to do it make a case, make a few recording and present it to the right people, the local news and start on my county, take it from there.
It didn't work the first time around, so I'm sorta stumped as to why you think it could work a second time around...

The reason most have Handles, and go by something other than their "real name" on the CB started back in the 60's when guys decided they didn't want to get a CB License... They came up with colorful "Handles" to go by simply to keep the FCC from finding out who they were, and lived...(sorta surprised really that didn't catch on with the HAM Bands as well)

On the out-side chance that the FCC did a total about-face and reinserted Licensing, it would be the same thing as before...No One would get a license that didn't want too...Specially the guys who you are complaining about...

Not to mention the fact the FCC or any other agency has the man power to enforce the policy of tracking down CB operators that don't have a license or might be a potty-mouth ...Not that there is all that many people anymore even operating CB Stations, it's just CB Radio is not even on the FCC's radar anymore of being a major priority.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------

Post by silvereagle1 » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 18:22 PM

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone buying a 11 meter radio get it running and just have FUN. No license required! it's just a very small portion of the the million different frequencies anyway. Having a license wouldn't clean it up. It would just be something pretty to look at. With a license comes a great responsibility. With all the restrictions that is listed under the FCC rules cb radio communication would be useless. if you have a license you are morally obligated to follow the rules or the license is worthless! Might as well talk on the 49 megahertz toy walkie talkie. That's what 11 meters would be reduced to.

With that said I do agree with its a total shame we can't turn on a two way radio without fear of our kids hearing all the foul mouth garbage that goes on on a daily basis. It is true we can use the off switch but we shouldn't have to do that. I'm lucky in some ways because I live in an area where it's not that bad. It still exist here but not like in jersey as previous posted. a license wouldn't stop the foul language it would only give the offenders a call sign they wouldn't use on air anyway.
Last edited by silvereagle1 on Thursday, 28 November 2013, 14:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

kalamata
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by kalamata » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 20:34 PM

I have some thoughts on this if your interested. However, while the goals are largely the same, I'm not sure those thoughts fit in with the context of the thread...
The DB,

Sure I am interested in your idea and will like to know more about it but I am not able to send you a private message yet (don't really know the reason why). Please feel free to message me if you can.

Kalamata

Also I wanted to appologize if I have disrespected anyone here, it is not my intention. All I want is to find out if there is a way to correct an issue that I know it can be corrected if we all care enough and work together. Lets forget about the proposal and try to do something about the problem. If we all say something when someone use profanity soon or later people are going to understand that we are all together in this and we are going to make a change.

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 21:34 PM

Also I wanted to appologize if I have disrespected anyone here, it is not my intention. All I want is to find out if there is a way to correct an issue that I know it can be corrected if we all care enough and work together. Lets forget about the proposal and try to do something about the problem. If we all say something when someone use profanity soon or later people are going to understand that we are all together in this and we are going to make a change.
I think you said you live in the New Jersey area?

Sorry to say, but those guys around your neck of the woods are the exception to the rules...Your only option would be to move South...I can assure you the rest of the Country is not nearly as bad as what you hear up there...

I can say that with confidence because I read what those guys post on the Forums, plus I can hear how they act on the radio when DX is rolling out of the Northeast...All the horn-blowing and channel locking doesn't go on every where in the Country on the radio like you may think...Nothing like that go's on around the Dallas area when there's no DX...It's not Disneyland here either, but nothing like what you hear in the Northeast.

Cussing to a extent might...but not anything worse than what you would hear on any TV channel or in a PG rated Movie.
CB Radio is never in a million years going to sound like a G rated movie or something Walt Disney would approve of...

Only way your going to be able to change what you hear in your area, is to find out by doing a little research in your area, who is doing the trash talking...maybe record it, then send in a complaint to the FCC with names and addresses.(plus the tape) The FCC is not going to do that for you. They don't have the resources for that, plus like I pointed out earlier, CB Radio is not a major priority anymore...But they will respond to complaints, as long as you can give them something to work with.

kalamata
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by kalamata » Thursday, 28 November 2013, 21:49 PM

jessejamesdallas wrote:I think you said you live in the New Jersey area?

Sorry to say, but those guys around your neck of the woods are the exception to the rules...Your only option would be to move South...I can assure you the rest of the Country is not nearly as bad as what you hear up there...

I can say that with confidence because I read what those guys post on the Forums, plus I can hear how they act on the radio when DX is rolling out of the Northeast...All the horn-blowing and channel locking doesn't go on every where in the Country on the radio like you may think...Nothing like that go's on around the Dallas area when there's no DX...It's not Disneyland here either, but nothing like what you hear in the Northeast.

Cussing to a extent might...but not anything worse than what you would hear on any TV channel or in a PG rated Movie.
CB Radio is never in a million years going to sound like a G rated movie or something Walt Disney would approve of...

Only way your going to be able to change what you hear in your area, is to find out by doing a little research in your area, who is doing the trash talking...maybe record it, then send in a complaint to the FCC with names and addresses.(plus the tape) The FCC is not going to do that for you. They don't have the resources for that, plus like I pointed out earlier, CB Radio is not a major priority anymore...But they will respond to complaints, as long as you can give them something to work with.

Hi Jesse James,

Yes you are correct, I am in New Jersey. Thank you for your words and I am glad that you are familiar with the kind of problem that I am having in this area. I was down south back in April and I had my CB radio in the car with me and like you said the cursing and profanity was not as bad down that way. Here is insane with this guys, specially those in the Newark Ports. Thanks for the advise about finding out who they are, recording them and filling a complain with the FCC. You gave me an idea since I know someone that used to work on the Newark Port and he may be able to identify them by their voice.

Thank you,

015reddog
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Mudduck Junk
Antenna: Coathanger
Name: REd

Post by 015reddog » Friday, 29 November 2013, 5:47 AM

[quote="kalamata"]Ohio_359

I am not living in child memories or in Hamlandia I am just pointing out that some of the people on the CB Radio are a disgrace to human race and should not be allowed to operate any kind of two way communication device. If they want to talk they way they talk it should be in a closed line like a telephone or cell phone where the only one listening to the garbage that comes out of their mouth is the one on the other end. My problem comes from a personal experience where a guy insulted my wife while my kids where on the car with us, just because I identified myself on the channel.

Wow, so you can pray to God and ask him to harm someone for you out of revenge? That's a pretty heavy penalty for some words that you wouldn't have heard if you had changed the channel. Wow....... ........just wow!
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Friday, 29 November 2013, 6:36 AM

015reddog wrote:
kalamata wrote:Ohio_359

Wow, so you can pray to God and ask him to harm someone for you out of revenge? That's a pretty heavy penalty for some words that you wouldn't have heard if you had changed the channel. Wow....... ........just wow!
Think someone's been watching "Clash of the Titans" one time too much.... :mrgreen:

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 'Doc » Friday, 29 November 2013, 6:47 AM

Reinstating a license structure for CB radio isn't a 'new' idea, it's been discussed and proposed to the FCC a number of times. It was denied on each occasion. I really doubt if it will happen, just no 'good' incentive as far as the Government is concerned. There have been quite a few organizations that have 'issued' calls/handles for CB'ers over the years too. Didn't work, there was/is no authority delegated for that sort of thing, and most people don't want to be identified in a traceable manner.
This is opinion so take it as such...
CB radio will be around for a long time, it isn't going away any time soon. I honestly don't care is a license is required or not. If it isn't too expensive I might even get one. As long as the 'rules' aren't unreasonable I have no problem with rules. Of course, that depends on the purpose of those rules. Same for driving a car, you know? How about 'cleaning up the band'? Good luck, but don't hold your breath. If the 'language' used is not to your liking, then don't listen. Sounds like a cop-out? It's not, that's what I do on the street too. The CB has turned into a 'hobby' type band, it wasn't to start with. If you enjoy using it, do so. There are alternatives, so why not investigate them??
- 'Doc

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Friday, 29 November 2013, 10:10 AM

If I am not mistaken the FCC was monitoring the Philadelphia and New Jersey area across the bridge not too many months ago, that area got really quiet for a few weeks, some fines were issued and equipment confiscated. Yes what JJD said will bring out a monitoring team from the Gettysburg field office since the recorded voices, names, and addresses would shorten their time there. If you haven't noticed they have already started going after offenders, stores, and shops selling illegal equipment. Look at some of the websites selling amps, they are listed for export only or the amps have been taken off the site.
CB radio is still governed by the Part 95 rules and regulation, and there are fines that are harsher than the ones you stated on your original post.
Inappropriate language is a hard thing to control over the air and it happens on all the frequencies, not just CB radio, since we all know that the FCC is not capable of dealing with everyone that uses it.
My best suggestion is to monitor what your children is listening or talking to and be ready to change channels or turn off the radio if said offenders come on.

3's

Greg
Last edited by MDYoungblood on Friday, 29 November 2013, 21:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

The DB
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by The DB » Friday, 29 November 2013, 15:03 PM

kalamata wrote:
The DB,

Sure I am interested in your idea and will like to know more about it but I am not able to send you a private message yet (don't really know the reason why). Please feel free to message me if you can.

Kalamata
No need for pm's, its no real secret.

If you want to try and battle something like this its a matter of moving the person/people higher on the FCC's target list. Its not that the FCC completely ignores the CB band, and it is true that they very rarely get involved, but sometimes they do. Every now and then they crack down on the worst offenders. The goal is to make sure they have the information on the people causing problems in your area. This requires patience, as you never know when the FCC is going to act, and the times they do act is few and far between. Patience also helps when gathering data.

First things first, while your putting out the effort make sure your station is completely legal. What would be the point of getting a troublemaker off the air if they also happen to find something wrong with your station(s). You may find yourself in the same boat.

Second, see if others in the area, preferably friends that you communicate with often, would be interested in helping. This has its advantages and disadvantages. For one more manpower is better for collecting evidence. More people can be on more of the time monitoring. The problem here is if one person breaks the law in the efforts the group as a whole could potentially be held liable, so make sure the entire group is on the same page with what actions are and are not acceptable.

Third, log, log, log, and log some more. If possible record the extensive use of the offensive language by said individual as often as possible. If you have ongoing logs and recordings that show a consistent pattern that only helps your case.

Learn how to fox hunt. This has its ups and downs, you don't want to be seen as stalking the guy, but knowing where he lives if he also has a base setup. You could contact his neighbors and see if he is interfering with their electronic equipment and if they are willing they could send up reports and logs as well. This only adds to the data, and shows he is causing problems in multiple different ways, and is affecting multiple people. You definitely don't want to use the location information to damage his property or you and your entire group if it exists can be held liable, so make sure you trust the people you give such location information to. Another thing you can do if you happen to make contacts with the targets neighbors is have them file regular police reports, and make several complaints. The local police department can't act directly, however, their complaints to the FCC carry much more weight then you the individual. Remember the goal here is attention, you want the FCC to put some attention on the problem, but not put that same attention on you. If you have three or four people keeping logs and recordings of the guy causing problems, and the neighbors also filling out reports and those make it to the FCC they are much more likely to act. I've seen two or three determined people get someone off the air, at least for a time. The hard part is being nothing more than a bystander and note taker for as long as it takes to get the FCC to act.

This was all intended to stay within the law. If you can show a consistent issues, or even better, show multiple issues that are consistent over time, the FCC is more likely to act. That being said, they will act in their own time, and really have no consideration for your needs and wants. All you can really do is make sure they have a steady and up to date supply of information. Plus, it is possible to bother the FCC enough that they will get involved just to make you go away. I would be careful with that if that is your goal because the sword of the FCC, while to often sheathed, is also double edged... More people sending up their own reports, some of which have the same data that yours has and some other data as well from when you weren't on, helps take the eye off of you.

I have seen the above work, and have heard stories from locals in my community about a previous local resident and the problems he caused, and everything they went through to get him and his CB to stop interfering with their electronic equipment sometimes several houses away. I actually got some dirty looks when I put an antenna up on my house, but have only ever gotten one report if interference. That was about three seconds on a recorded VCR tape...

If your willing to go outside the rule of law there are all kinds of things you and others could do, but I will not help in that regard in any way shape or form.

The DB

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic