NEW DUCK
Radio: cobra 2000 gtl
Antenna: hygain spt 500
Name: Mickey Rockett
Home Phone: 205-424-1997
Cell Phone: 205-910-1308

Kenrich Eagle 500

Post by skyrocket » Tuesday, 19 March 2013, 14:49 PM

I just recieved my Kenrich Eagle 500 and know nothing about it because i can't find an owners or operation manual. Can someone explain to me the function of the"drive", "load", and "tune" knobs and using a watch face,tell me approximately where to set the knobs so i can start to operate. I can put 2-8 in to drive it and have a 3-way meter coming. I have been out of CB for 30 years and am trying to remember what i knew. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
skyrocket

tulmkr
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Many
Antenna: PDL II
Name: Tim

Re: Kenrich Eagle 500

Post by tulmkr » Thursday, 21 March 2013, 21:39 PM

Fairly simple to operate. Set the knobs at about 12:00 to start. Turn your radio, or mic modulation all the way down. Key the mic and first adjust the tune knob until your watt meter reaches its highest output. Dont key up for more that 10-15 seconds at a time. Then adjust the load knob until it reaches the highest output on your watt meter. Again dont key up for more than 10-15 seconds at a time. That will get you close.

Now turn your mic or radio modulation up, and do the same thing again. Adjust the tune and load for max output with a steady ahhhhh, or shhhhessshhhh, or even a whistle. Same rule, never key up for more than 10-15 seconds at a time. Keep going back and forth between the tune and load until the output settles to max wattage. Now, turn the load knob to the right while modulating the same as you did before, until you see a very slight drop in output wattage, this is overcoupling and will help to clean up you audio. At this point, you can use the drive knob to adjust the amplifiers deadkey. With no modulation.. radio or mic turned down..key the mic, and adjust the deadkey to about 30% of what your peak output wattage was. If it wont get that high, set it to about 30-50 watts.
Now you are good to go. If at any time, you see the tube plates glowing cherry red... STOP!!!!!! Let everything cool down before going further. If that box has a high and low setting, make sure you tune, and load it on the high setting only, and in am mode. Also, the first thing you should do is to make sure your swr is as low as you can get it. With practice, you should be able to tune, and load the amp in less than 20 seconds. You will typically only have to retune, and load if you swap radios, antennas, or move up or down 10 channels or so.

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Friday, 22 March 2013, 18:38 PM

whistling while you tune up does nothing but make the person look like an idiot
if you talk at the same tone of a whistle then tune up with a whislte
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

liquidh8
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Cobra 148GTL
Antenna: Imax 2000
Name: Flex
Home Phone: ch 33 and ch 37

Post by liquidh8 » Monday, 29 April 2013, 12:25 PM

I have the Eagle 515, I tune it saying audio, and in a similar fashion as others have said. Good little amps I think, expensive tubes though. good luck. :cheers:
FLEX 231 Southeastern PA Usually 27.385 LSB, 27.425 LSB, or whatever else I can talk on.
Radios: 858 Washington, 8719 Washington, Galaxy Saturn, HR2510's, TS-5010, 148GTL.
Amps: KLV1000, Eagle 515, KLV550, Palomar 225.
Antennas: Imax 2000, Wilson 5000.
Mics: Homebrew amplified Compressor, D104M6B's with tone mod.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic