The CBRT/TWRC Convention
July 28 & 29, 2017

Connex Vs. Galaxy

Need some help or advice on how to set up a mobile. This is the place to ask.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: (2)3300HP, GL, 2950
Name: J. L.

Connex Vs. Galaxy

Post by Corn_Bread » Thursday, 17 June 2010, 16:06 PM

If you could get a new radio and it between these two?? which would you choose???
Connex 4600 Turbo or the Galaxy dx94hp? And Why??

audio boy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 2

Re: Connex Vs. Galaxy

Post by audio boy » Thursday, 17 June 2010, 22:15 PM

Well,im not a fan of the newer Galaxy's like the 94hp but between the 2 ill take the Galaxy, the Connex is to plain for me, i love the big galaxy meter not the sliver one, the galaxy has echo, and voice changer, about 120 watts, illuminating faceplate, all blue lights, im sure you get the point, if you like a plain radio that cuts to the chase get the connex, or a radio that is loaded with features, that you will never get bored with get the 94hp it just depends on what you like, neither radio is better than one another, why you lookin at buying one of these 2??
I like cheese!

Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Alot of 'em!!
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Name: Michael
Home Phone: 205-683-9333
Cell Phone: 205-400-5810
Referrals: 1

Post by Sporty Mike » Friday, 18 June 2010, 4:43 AM

The Connex

Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!

murdoc
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Connex, RCI, Galaxy
Antenna: Mr. Coily
Name: Adam

Post by murdoc » Friday, 18 June 2010, 5:40 AM

The Connex for sure... At least outta those two you listed.. Now if between the 4600 Turbo and the Galaxy 95T2, I would prolly go with the 95T2, not to mention they are 'apples to apples' in comparison as far as output power, both use 2sc2290 output transistors and properly tuned will swing to 185-190 watts safely... Just depends what you are lookin' for??? Want a sideband rig with descent Am too??? Then go with the 95T2... Want to put some money into an already awesome AM talker, go with the 4600 Turbo... Remember, the 4600 starts at a lower price, so, fewer 'frills= lower base price= more money for mods vs. the 95T2!!!

I have a super-modded Radioactive built 4600 Turbo, lemme tell ya, that is one nice talkin' radio, nothin' but flowers when it comes to crystal clear audio and drops a heavy hammer for such a small little radio!!!

Also, if ya go with the 4600, do a pill swap, ditch the 2290s for 2879s, makes for a very nice upgrade, just remember, get that SWR as flat as as a board with any amplified radio!!!

Who needs all those 'bells and whistles' anyway, just more to go wrong!!!

Murdoc

kc4eoe
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy DX959
Name: Al

Post by kc4eoe » Friday, 18 June 2010, 9:57 AM

I want a RadioActive tuned Galaxy 95T2 that will be so bad, you will need a Geiger Counter to measure the heat coming off of it. Saving all my change for it now. :biggrin:

Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Corn_Bread » Friday, 18 June 2010, 20:03 PM

thanks for the input.. i like the looks of the galaxy. dont really know about the 4 moffsets tho? I have a 3300hp that i love.. but like to try other things out... so its hard to say what i will get when i do deside to drop the bomb...

Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Corn_Bread » Friday, 18 June 2010, 20:04 PM

thanks for the input.. i like the looks of the galaxy. dont really know about the 4 moffsets tho? I have a 3300hp that i love.. but like to try other things out got a 2950 for ssb.. kinda into it but not.. i like the am side of radios! so its hard to say what i will get when i do deside to drop the bomb...

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Post by TheCBDoctor » Saturday, 19 June 2010, 9:16 AM

Between the Connex and a Galaxy? I would go for the Connex. I rarely have to repair any Connex, I wish I could say the same for the Galaxy.

Just my observation.
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

murdoc
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by murdoc » Saturday, 19 June 2010, 11:53 AM

Corn_Bread wrote: i like the am side of radios!

Corn Bread, if AM is more your interest for sure go with the Connex, the 4600 Turbo is a BIG TALKER on AM, also notice that Galaxy shows the 94HP at 100Watts, remember thats only in SSB mode, in AM its not doin that, really they are kinda weak in the AM department.... One thing to consider if you go with the Connex is it does not come with the 'good' Connex echo board, have it swapped out right up front and other than that its one stout radio for sure...

Best of luck with your decision...

Murdoc

Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Corn_Bread » Saturday, 19 June 2010, 16:01 PM

so the turbo doesn't have the connex board in it? it has the other type of echo board??? humm.. what kind of power are people seeing out of these turbos?

murdoc
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by murdoc » Saturday, 19 June 2010, 21:38 PM

Corn_Bread wrote:so the turbo doesn't have the connex board in it? it has the other type of echo board??? humm..

Its a Connex board, just not the 'good' one... I've had problems with mine, had it switched out with the 'good' board and all is good now

Corn_Bread wrote: what kind of power are people seeing out of these turbos?

With the factory installed 2290 transistors you can safely do 180-190 Watts with the right tech doin the tune...

They truly are BIGGGGG AM talkers in a small all-in-one package...

Wanna spend a few more bucks??? Check into the Connex 4300-300 4 pill, its the Turbo's big brother... Double the output!!!

Murdoc

audio boy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by audio boy » Sunday, 20 June 2010, 12:15 PM

the galaxy will do 100 watts on am, but the mosfets do get pretty hot, thank god for the built in fans, all in all the galaxy is the most luxurious of all radios, it has ssb, all the bells and whisles, but if you want a plain good long lasting radio get the connex, "i'm not saying that the galaxy's dont last long just that they have a higher maintence rate then most other radios" YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!!
I like cheese!

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler » Sunday, 20 June 2010, 13:00 PM

audio boy wrote:all in all the galaxy is the most luxurious of all radios

You really like those Galaxy's :biggrin:

tim2
Donor
Donor

Post by tim2 » Sunday, 20 June 2010, 14:02 PM

add drift to all those galaxy perks . he he LOL.
JUST MY 2 CENTS .... MEANS NOTHING !!!!!!!

Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Corn_Bread » Monday, 21 June 2010, 16:50 PM

well when i do deside to pull the trigger it will be on a connex 4600.. had my 3300 for over 5 years and very few minor problems to it.. so if i spend that much money for a radio.. i want it to last more than a year or so>..

dragline
Donor
Donor
Radio: connex
Name: monti

Post by dragline » Monday, 21 June 2010, 20:24 PM

4600 turbo hands down. Yes the factory installed echo is a poor design but as stated above have another board installed. Nothing like some booming connex audio.

audio boy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by audio boy » Monday, 21 June 2010, 22:44 PM

aww come on the galaxy will last more than a year try 2 haha just kidding they'll last if you dont abuse them, or let them flop and bounce every where like some people i know that do that and then they ask me to fix there stuff NO THANKS!!! LOL i warned him!!!
I like cheese!

Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler » Tuesday, 22 June 2010, 7:20 AM

audio boy wrote: they'll last if you dont abuse them, or let them flop and bounce every where like some people i know that do that and then they ask me to fix there stuff
That's a scary thought :biggrin:

Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Alot of 'em!!
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Home Phone: 205-683-9333
Cell Phone: 205-400-5810

Post by Sporty Mike » Tuesday, 22 June 2010, 7:55 AM

Galaxy should give Audio Boy an award...or something. For being their #1 fan!! :biggrin:

Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!

audio boy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by audio boy » Tuesday, 22 June 2010, 12:52 PM

Yea mabe lol, i hate to see people abuse them and then they talk and talk and talk about them like they are not good radios they are if you take care of them, dont try to get every watt out of one that will save you alot, they are the type of radio that likes to be still at all times "not mounted poorly in a mobile" thats the main cause of failure in a galaxy is poor mounting, this could go for many radios as well to if not all, you guys would be supprised, i got a galaxy 99v in 06' as well as a couple of my other cb friends iv had mine as a base its whole life no problems never hit, abused, turned up all the way, NOTHING and my radios still rockin loud and clear as well as my dx73v wich is older than my 99v by 6 years and that will never fail NO PROBLEMS, but as for my other friends that have turned there 99v's all the way up to get every watt and mounted them very poorly and bouncy, have seen alot of problems out of there radios and they wonder why, and recomend other people not to get them, and then i just laugh at them because there is no reasoning for them at all haha.
I like cheese!

murdoc
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by murdoc » Tuesday, 22 June 2010, 14:39 PM

audio boy wrote:Yea mabe lol, i hate to see people abuse them and then they talk and talk and talk about them like they are not good radios they are if you take care of them, dont try to get every watt out of one that will save you alot, they are the type of radio that likes to be still at all times "not mounted poorly in a mobile" thats the main cause of failure in a galaxy is poor mounting, this could go for many radios as well to if not all, you guys would be supprised, i got a galaxy 99v in 06' as well as a couple of my other cb friends iv had mine as a base its whole life no problems never hit, abused, turned up all the way, NOTHING and my radios still rockin loud and clear as well as my dx73v wich is older than my 99v by 6 years and that will never fail NO PROBLEMS, but as for my other friends that have turned there 99v's all the way up to get every watt and mounted them very poorly and bouncy, have seen alot of problems out of there radios and they wonder why, and recomend other people not to get them, and then i just laugh at them because there is no reasoning for them at all haha.

Its only abuse if you Dukes-of-Hazard your tractor trailer over the mississippi river!!! Everything else is considered 'normal' use... With that said, sounds like some manufacturing error going on at the Galaxy camp...

CONNEX ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT!!! :r&r:

Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Corn_Bread » Tuesday, 22 June 2010, 16:52 PM

lol... an interesting thread... i have a galaxy 44.. it does pretty good.. poor solder tho... when its on freq and talking and receivein it does a good job!!!

audio boy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by audio boy » Tuesday, 22 June 2010, 17:20 PM

yea if there was a error with you galaxy cb there is a special galaxy symptom and cure database for galaxy radios http://www.cbtricks.com/cgi-bin/database/galaxy_db.cgi this will solve any problem that a galaxy radio faces due to factory or owner error mostly factory, but the owner can cause alot of problems to.
I like cheese!

Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Corn_Bread » Tuesday, 22 June 2010, 18:02 PM

bought radio from my boss. had in his pick up.. since he has had it.. it has always gave him problems.. work fine for a while then the solder would show its butt and make the radio quit workin

audio boy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by audio boy » Tuesday, 22 June 2010, 20:14 PM

Yea thats why i have my galaxy's gone threw every 4-6 months to make sure everything is good inside, thats a little often but my galaxy's are older and you can never predict if somthing is going bad inside, you see, most people dont do this, and that is an example of user error "remember my little talk about user maintenence" thats where the cold soldiers come into play, but lets get back on topic i dont want this thread to get hijacked LOL.
-Audio Boy
I like cheese!

Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Corn_Bread » Wednesday, 23 June 2010, 15:38 PM

10-4... yeah i am takin the 44 to the doc in a day or so.. but still wanting to get the turbo!!!

audio boy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by audio boy » Wednesday, 23 June 2010, 19:41 PM

cool
I like cheese!

Worster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Connex 3400HP
Antenna: Predator 10K SW
Name: Patrick

Post by Worster » Friday, 17 September 2010, 15:25 PM

Well, I have had my Connex 4600 turbo for 3 years, never had it apart, have had a lot of compliments on the sound and clarity, two of my buddies bought the same exact radio from Sparkys instead of Clays which is where I purchased mine. I have put this radio through hell and back and hasn't let me down... yet... I think the talk back is going or its the mic again already on my 3rd road king, I work on pretty rough logging roads all year, and the radio has lasted 3 years of torcher, I will say I have never run a galaxy but I'm all for the Connex, don't get me wrong I looked at that 94HP and thats a cool **Censored** looking radio! i think it would look good in my pick up!
My Bare feet:
Magnum S-6 Tuned by Clays Radio Shop Road King 56 (Sold)
Connex 4600 Turbo, Clays Radio Shop Road King 56 (Sold)
Connex 3400 HP, Sparkys CB Shack, Astatic 636L
2 Single Coil Predator 10K 12 inch shafts
"I'm Just a Matchbox Car playing in a Tonka Truck World"

murdoc
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by murdoc » Friday, 17 September 2010, 15:36 PM

mark another one for Connex!!! Hahahaha, I love it... And I also love my 4600T...

Worster wrote:Well, I have had my Connex 4600 turbo for 3 years, never had it apart, have had a lot of compliments on the sound and clarity, two of my buddies bought the same exact radio from Sparkys instead of Clays which is where I purchased mine. I have put this radio through hell and back and hasn't let me down... yet... I think the talk back is going or its the mic again already on my 3rd road king, I work on pretty rough logging roads all year, and the radio has lasted 3 years of torcher, I will say I have never run a galaxy but I'm all for the Connex, don't get me wrong I looked at that 94HP and thats a cool **Censored** looking radio! i think it would look good in my pick up!

Murdoc

busdriver389
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: rci 2950, 93T,99V
Name: gary

Post by busdriver389 » Tuesday, 12 October 2010, 19:53 PM

The only way I'd buy a connex, is if I got it cheap enough to resale and make money!
We're all going to die, but I've got a helmet.

Runt
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: RCI690F150
Name: Al

Post by Runt » Saturday, 16 October 2010, 14:23 PM

Why not get a tricked out General Lee and put a Davemade amp behind it? Say a 2x4 or such.
Or.....send in your 3300hp for a make over and put a Davemade behind it!

JMO

[flash]
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by [flash] » Sunday, 24 October 2010, 0:13 AM

CONNEX. Hands down.

magnum450
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy2517,2547
Antenna: dipole1/2w
Name: douglas morris

Post by magnum450 » Tuesday, 16 November 2010, 14:19 PM

Galaxy hands down, but I also like connex to :jokercolor:
If youre going to use a hammer use the biggest one you can find!

Corn_Bread
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Corn_Bread » Tuesday, 16 November 2010, 15:28 PM

has anyone used the new connex 3600hp? the 3400's big brother?? if so howd it pair up to the old 4300hp???

BigRigRob
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Connex 43-300
Name: Robert

Post by BigRigRob » Friday, 10 December 2010, 11:04 AM

Connex

My 43-300 hasn't given me a lick of trouble,
it's my first connex, been running RCI radios for the last decade or more, wanted to try something different.
It won't be my last Connex radio. 8)
.... a five dollar shower, nudie girl happy hour, truck driving Son of a B**ch. Oh yeah

preacherman
Donor
Donor
Name: Bob

Post by preacherman » Friday, 10 December 2010, 12:40 PM

The 4600 (no longer made) and the Galaxy 94hp are two very different radios.
The 4600 is basically a 3300 with a two pill amp on the bottom. The 94 is a
959 (same board) with a four mosfet amp on the bottom. The 94 has ssb,
a big meter and more features. The 4600 is a talkin' fool. It all depends
on what you're after.
Preacherman
"Preacherman workin' this mudduck mercury. Topside, Land O' Lincoln"

SoundStream
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Radio: Galaxy DX 94HP

Post by SoundStream » Friday, 10 December 2010, 13:24 PM

I own a Galaxy DX 94HP, I think it is a much better radio then my old RCI 2950, and far better then my Cobra 25 that I use as a back up radio. So for me it's Galaxy all the way.

hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: RCI2980WX/Galaxy98v
Antenna: I MAX 2000/Maco103c
Name: JOSHUA

Post by hilltop 439 » Friday, 10 December 2010, 17:26 PM

I am a Galaxy fan myself they have all the toys,bells and whistles that i like in my radios. They also have a wider range of radios to pick from. The Connex is a very nice radio and would not turn one down if someone gave me one just not as flashy as the Galaxy's.
... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...

dragline
Donor
Donor
Radio: connex
Name: monti

Post by dragline » Monday, 13 December 2010, 20:14 PM

I agree.... the galaxy does have all the pretty stuff.... guess you could lure in all the mud ducks with its physical attributes and then have a buddy around with his 4600t to squash them lol

forcheck
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by forcheck » Friday, 22 July 2011, 10:59 AM

Corn_Bread wrote:10-4... yeah i am takin the 44 to the doc in a day or so.. but still wanting to get the turbo!!!
I have a 99v and just bought a connex 3600Hp. I just got it in yesterday and and still don't know how to set it up. I have to run all new wiring and the whole bit

Darrin
Donor
Donor

Post by Darrin » Monday, 25 July 2011, 9:43 AM

I like what I heard earlier send you 3300HP in for a Tune-Up and than get you a Dave Made 2X4 or any 2X4 Box and that with do some talking. You already got a great radio just run a 2X4 with it and you will be walking the dog now.

Cotton Mouth

Ohio_359
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Ohio_359 » Monday, 25 July 2011, 12:04 PM

Darrin wrote:I like what I heard earlier send you 3300HP in for a Tune-Up and than get you a Dave Made 2X4 or any 2X4 Box and that with do some talking. You already got a great radio just run a 2X4 with it and you will be walking the dog now.

Cotton Mouth
Can we say "overdrive"!

Darrin
Donor
Donor

Post by Darrin » Monday, 25 July 2011, 13:50 PM

Common man add variable power and no over drive its about the same as a general lee i have them both with variable power and are a great set up, I can get into more details but I think you and others all know where I'm going with this.

Cotton Mouth

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: (non-sponsor) 29 LTD
Antenna: *Censored*

Post by 543FtWorth » Monday, 25 July 2011, 16:54 PM

Why a 2x4? A 3300hp would cruise a straight 4 and drive the snot out of a 1x4.

Ohio_359
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Ohio_359 » Monday, 25 July 2011, 22:23 PM

I wouldn't run a dual final radio into a 1x4, let alone a 2x4.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic