base station illegal

A place to ask questions about base setups.

Moderator: JR Moderator

galvatron
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Name: Gary

base station illegal

Post by galvatron » Tuesday, 20 July 2010, 19:05 PM

i stopped off at R&L electrinoics in hamilton ohio.. asked if they sell base stations they said no because it's illegal
and the FCC would fine out, i was told to use my mobile as a base station

togaman
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: sears roadtalker
Name: Rick
Home Phone: channel 29

Re: base station illegal

Post by togaman » Tuesday, 20 July 2010, 19:54 PM

Not sure what to say to that. The fcc knows if you're running a base or mobile??? Haha
4130 Land o' Lincoln
[/b]

pasanby
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Name: Robert
Home Phone: 501 602 2011

Post by pasanby » Tuesday, 20 July 2010, 20:13 PM

Not sure ether , far as I know , its not illegal to own any radio , It's only illegal to transmit on designated frequency's ?

PA629
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PA629 » Tuesday, 20 July 2010, 22:10 PM

R&L only carries type-accepted radios, Cobra, Midland, Uniden. You are misunderstanding the information you were given..

R&L doesn't cater to the typical CB'er, per se.
Base: Galaxy DX2517, D104 Silver Eagle w/W2ENY element, SB 220, Imax 2000, 4 element quad
Mobile: Galaxy 95T2, Astatic 575-M6, Sirio P-5000 Performer, Unmentionable 4x2879

'Doc
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by 'Doc » Tuesday, 20 July 2010, 22:20 PM

The only difference between a 'base station' and a 'mobile' radio is how they are powered. A typical 'base station' would have a 120 vac power supply built into it, the mobile would have a 12 vdc power cord.
And then there's the 'bells-n-whistles' differences which is fairly common. Since you aren't as busy doing something else on a 'base radio', like you would be in a mobile, there can be additional controls for various aspects of a radio. And since it's in a bigger 'box' because of that power supply built-in, they tend to be a bit larger so there's room for those knobs-n-switches. That sort of thingy.
A base radio isn't illegal, as such. They aren't as much in demand as a mobile type radio so usually are a bit more expensive. If you start making changes to a CB transmitter then it becomes illegal no matter if it's mobile, a 'base', or one you carry in your shirt pocket. The biggies about that are frequency control and power output.
- 'Doc

galvatron
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Name: Gary

Post by galvatron » Wednesday, 21 July 2010, 7:55 AM

thanks for clearing that up

Pistol_Pete
Donor
Donor
Radio: Ranger / RCI 2970N2
Antenna: IMax
Name: Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete » Friday, 23 July 2010, 18:46 PM

Galaxy and Ranger/RCI both offer several options in the way of base stations. I can not speak much on the Galaxy's because I don't own one and realy don't know anything about them. I do own and use a Ranger/RCI that is a 10 & 12 meter base (RCI-2995 DX) that is also capable of talking on the 11 meter band (also known as CB or "Citizen Band" frequency's). Theses radio's are capable of producing alot more than the 5 watt maximum power that is allowed by law on the CB bands. But they are legal to own and fun to use and they are readly available for sale in CB shops and on the net.
I also see alot of neat old "CB" base stations on ebay that are really cool. There is an old 23 channel tube type Robyn on there now that I would love to have. The cool thing about those radios is that they are cheap.
Find yourself a base and have some fun!!!!
Let us know how you come out.
Pistol_Pete
Base:
Ranger/RCI 2995 DX / Turner RK 56 / MAX 2000
Mobil 1:
Ranger / RCI 6900F25 / Turner RK 56 / Wilson 1000
Mobil 2:
Ranger/RCI 69FFC2 / Astatic 636L-c / Wilson 1000

Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter » Friday, 23 July 2010, 20:38 PM

galvatron wrote:i stopped off at R&L electrinoics in hamilton ohio.. asked if they sell base stations they said no because it's illegal

Most likely they sell only new equipment correct? There aren't many new type accepted base stations out on the market these days.

I Remember

PA629
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PA629 » Saturday, 24 July 2010, 1:07 AM

Foxhunter wrote:
galvatron wrote:i stopped off at R&L electrinoics in hamilton ohio.. asked if they sell base stations they said no because it's illegal

Most likely they sell only new equipment correct? There aren't many new type accepted base stations out on the market these days.

Bingo! See my earlier post..... :biggrin:

I've done a lot of biz with R&L over the years and have always found them to have their sh*t in one bag............
Base: Galaxy DX2517, D104 Silver Eagle w/W2ENY element, SB 220, Imax 2000, 4 element quad
Mobile: Galaxy 95T2, Astatic 575-M6, Sirio P-5000 Performer, Unmentionable 4x2879

Fisherman100
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Yaesu - Magnum
Antenna: Antron-Cushcraft
Name: 625

Post by Fisherman100 » Sunday, 25 July 2010, 19:31 PM

Pistol_Pete wrote:Galaxy and Ranger/RCI both offer several options in the way of base stations. I can not speak much on the Galaxy's because I don't own one and realy don't know anything about them. I do own and use a Ranger/RCI that is a 10 & 12 meter base (RCI-2995 DX) that is also capable of talking on the 11 meter band (also known as CB or "Citizen Band" frequency's). Theses radio's are capable of producing alot more than the 5 watt maximum power that is allowed by law on the CB bands. But they are legal to own and fun to use and they are readly available for sale in CB shops and on the net.
I also see alot of neat old "CB" base stations on ebay that are really cool. There is an old 23 channel tube type Robyn on there now that I would love to have. The cool thing about those radios is that they are cheap.
Pistol_Pete
Hello Pistol Pete,

I'm already looking to buy a Ranger RCI 2950 DX or a RCI 2970 DX capable of talking on the CB band. Do you know where I can find it.

Thank's for help.

Fisherman100
Station 625 Quebec Canada
Base Station (Unit 625)
Yaesu FT-1200 - Yaesu FT-950 / Magnum S9 /Yaesu FT-2900
Heil Goldline / Shure SM58/ Road King 56 / Astatic 636 LC
W2IHY 8 bands EQ
Nady 31 bands EQ
Amplifiers Ameritron AL811 - RM Italy KL-501 - Texas Star HDV350
Antennas Antron 99 - Cushcraft R6000 - Halfway dipole 80+40 meters
Mobile
Magnum S9 / Yaesu FT2900
Yaesu FT-60 / Icom IC-V82
RM Italy KL-203P
Wilson 1000
Laird VHF

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra

Post by 231 » Monday, 26 July 2010, 7:39 AM

Fisherman100 wrote:I'm already looking to buy a Ranger RCI 2950 DX or a RCI 2970 DX capable of talking on the CB band. Do you know where I can find it.

Thank's for help.

Fisherman100
Station 625 Quebec Canada
Check with our sponsors located at the bottom of every page. :icon_e_wink:

Pistol_Pete
Donor
Donor
Radio: Ranger / RCI 2970N2
Antenna: IMax
Name: Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete » Monday, 26 July 2010, 15:18 PM

Hey Fisherman100
As previouly replied by 231 it would not hurt to check the fine sponsers of this site. One of the sponsers of this site is GI Joes and he sells several. http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/s ... tegory=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have ordered several things from him and he ships same day almost all the time. I have not had him do any bench work for me so I cannot comment on him in that department.
I would also check ebay, I see alot of them on there, you made have to wwatch for a week or two but they do show up. I don't know if local shops in Canada would cary them or not but I don't know why they would'nt.

Base:
Ranger/RCI 2995 DX / Turner RK 56 / MAX 2000
Mobil 1:
Ranger / RCI 6900F25 / Turner RK 56 / Wilson 1000
Mobil 2:
Ranger/RCI 69FFC2 / Astatic 636L-c / Wilson 1000

Radiodude
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Name: Ernie
Home Phone: 1-513-680-0097

Post by Radiodude » Thursday, 23 December 2010, 6:32 AM

WOW i live in Hamilton about 2 miles from R&L and find that they are a wealth of info. I am also a ham and they were the ones that pushed me to get my ticket! i buy most of what I need from them!
Roger is a funny guy!

BobCB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Cobra 25LTD(varies)
Antenna: A99, Browning BR-140
Name: Bobby

Post by BobCB » Thursday, 23 December 2010, 11:19 AM

Man, I better hide my 142 before the FCC conducts a raid on my house.
854/BigDog in Central Alabama

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Thursday, 23 December 2010, 11:44 AM

Pistol_Pete wrote:Galaxy and Ranger/RCI both offer several options in the way of base stations. I can not speak much on the Galaxy's because I don't own one and realy don't know anything about them. I do own and use a Ranger/RCI that is a 10 & 12 meter base (RCI-2995 DX) that is also capable of talking on the 11 meter band (also known as CB or "Citizen Band" frequency's). Theses radio's are capable of producing alot more than the 5 watt maximum power that is allowed by law on the CB bands. But they are legal to own and fun to use and they are readly available for sale in CB shops and on the net.
Pistol_Pete

Those 2995's are legal to own and fun to use, but just not on cb. I doubt you would get caught but they aren't legal to use on CB even though they are easily modified to do it. Using one on 10 meters is their legal role, but in reality they're designed and sold to be modified and used on cb. I think galaxy may still make a legal cb base but as mentioned above, a base is just a radio with a built in power supply. You can take a mobile and do the same thing and have more radio choices.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Alot of 'em!!
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Name: Michael
Home Phone: 205-683-9333
Cell Phone: 205-400-5810

Post by Sporty Mike » Thursday, 23 December 2010, 16:21 PM

Galaxy makes the only type accepted AM SSB CB base station radio still available today , the Galaxy 2547. Nice little radio .

Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!

A NUMBER 1
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Name: ROBERT LEARY
Home Phone: 330-928-0213

Post by A NUMBER 1 » Friday, 24 December 2010, 12:33 PM

What I think R&L is refering to is Type Accepted radios by the fCC,a "Legal" radio will have a FCC ID Tag on the back,what puzzles me,is on the FCC website they have the Galaxy 2547 as a "Illegal" radio,its a base,and yet the radio clearly has the FCC certification ID tag on the back of the radio,I had one,and it can not "easily" be channeled out,but can be done,why this radio is on the list is beyond me,when i questioned it,as per above,I got NO response...A NUMBER 1

SIX-SHOOTER
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: TRAM,BROWNING MKIII
Antenna: SUPER SCANNER
Name: CLAYTON
Home Phone: 904-259-0000

Post by SIX-SHOOTER » Saturday, 01 January 2011, 11:03 AM

Sporty Mike wrote:Galaxy makes the only type accepted AM SSB CB base station radio still available today , the Galaxy 2547. Nice little radio .

Mike
I just checked the FCC website & it shows the GALAXY 2547 as ILLEGAL & is listed on the BANNED for import or use radios list.

SIX-SHOOTER
UNIT 66
STATION SETUP:TRAM D-201(HAND WIRED),BROWNING "GOLDEN EAGLE" MK III with a BROWNING 776 microphone,& a UNIDEN "WASHINGTON",& (2) REALISTIC TRC-48's & a REALISTIC TRC-30A.I'm using an amplified ASTATIC D-104 with the TRAM, UNIDEN & REALISTICS.ANTENNA:PROTON 99 at 50 ft. MOBILE:COBRA 148 GTL with a REALISTIC power microphone & a 102' stainless steel whip.

"My Lord And Savior, Jesus Christ IS LORD"

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Sunday, 02 January 2011, 8:07 AM

Here is a Galaxy Base, which are 100% LEGAL, as long as No Mods have been done to it...Several listed on eBay.
Galaxy CB DX2547
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CDIQ8wIwAw#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW » Sunday, 02 January 2011, 9:15 AM

I have Galaxy 2547 with a D-104 mic, check the For Sale section, great base radio.

Nagant
Donor
Donor
Radio: To Many To List
Antenna: M104C, V-Quad
Name: Paul

Post by Nagant » Sunday, 02 January 2011, 13:58 PM

SIX-SHOOTER wrote:
Sporty Mike wrote:Galaxy makes the only type accepted AM SSB CB base station radio still available today , the Galaxy 2547. Nice little radio .

Mike
I just checked the FCC website & it shows the GALAXY 2547 as ILLEGAL & is listed on the BANNED for import or use radios list.

SIX-SHOOTER
UNIT 66

Could you supply the link on the FFC site with the illegal radio list? I have searched for it but never found anything on their site. All I can ever find is partial copies of an FCC letter from a field office posted on various amateur sites. Since this letter varies a lot, and since field offices do not make law, I really want to find the list on their site.
Worm on AM or 262 on SSB.

Pills are for swallowing!

My YouTube CB Radio Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/262NagantRa ... e=mhee#p/u

genesbro
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Name: Ralph

Post by genesbro » Tuesday, 11 January 2011, 19:51 PM

What the store was telling you is that there are no CB radios being made at the present time designed to be used as a base station. The only CB radios being made are for mobile installation and so require a power supply for use as a base station radio.

If you want to have an actuall CB radio for a base station you have to get a used one. There are some very good older base station CB radios out there. You can get one of them and have it tuned up so you can get all you can out of it and have a good time working some skip with no problem. You don't have to run several hundred watts to have some great contacts with a good SSB radio.

Get yourself a good used base station and then get the best antenna you can afford and you will get out just fine. You can easily talk base to moblile with a good omni using SSB over 30 miles and with a beam even further. Talking base to base using SSB with omnis I would say with good conditions 50 miles would be easy and 75 would be doable if you don't have interference from close channels or skip coming in. If you both had beams then the 75 miles becomes easy and over 100 works very often.

Those ranges I gave are from actuall experience using my preferred method of communication which is SSB with the radio I am still using today, my old trusty 148GTL. If I can ever find another 2000 that hasn't been all hacked up I will get one of those. Had one years ago and talks just as well as the 148 with all the extras like clock and freq counter. I run an external high quality speaker for the 148 and really makes it sound good like a 2000 would. The D-104 gives it great modulation punch without over doing it and I talk all over the place with great reports from all contacts.

So until they start making some good bases again I will keep my eye out for a 2000 and keep using my 148 until then as my base. Have fun with what you got and good luck on finding a good used base station.
Ralph
Radio, still the most fun way to communicate!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic