Weird thing going on in the base

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
BigX
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Bigx

Weird thing going on in the base

Post by BigX »

There’s a weird thing going on with my Cobra 29 that’s hooked up to the base station. The radio is hooked up to an Antron 99 and have a perfect SWR. Never had an issue with anything, it all works great but there is just a weird thing going on. When I place my hand on top of the radio the white noise sound goes quiet almost as if my body was absorbing it or acting as a ground. If I grab the coax connector in the back of the radio nothing happens, its only when I place my hand on top of the radio. Has anyone experienced this before? My antenna is grounded but the radio is not. I never grounded my actual radio to anything because it has always preformed great with perfect SWR’s. What could be causing this? It’s not causing any real problems it’s just something I’m wondering about.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Weird thing going on in the base

Post by MDYoungblood »

By "white noise" you mean the static being received? Does the receive signal also drop when touched?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
BigX
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Bigx

Re: Weird thing going on in the base

Post by BigX »

Yes the signal being received. No it doesn’t drop or improve the signal. I think it was something with my radio and the noise toy inside being maybe against the speaker. Its fine now after i opened it up and moved it. These damn Cobra 29 wxntst have no room inside! lol I just think the receive on this radio is poor. My radio shack trc - 447 has better receive and sounds cleaner. Anyone know why?