Maybe this is a dumb question...

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
VREELAND
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Maybe this is a dumb question...

Post by VREELAND »

... bus t am looking into getting a Uniden BCT8 scanner for my vehicle and am trying to figure out the mobile antenna. Does one need to check SWR or something like the SWR when hooking the scanner to an "after-market" antenna like you would with a CB radio?

Also, any recommendations on what brand of antenna would be helpful.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT!!!
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Maybe this is a dumb question...

Post by Night Crawler »

A scanner is a receiver and the swr is not a real concern.
Almost any brand of scanner antenna for the mobile will work fine just make sure it covers the frequency range of the scanner for best results.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

Actually, almost anything will work as a scanner antenna. If it happens to be sort of close to a 1/4 wave length for the band(s) you are interested in it might be 'better'. Your car antenna should work just dandy too. Longer than necessary is a bit better than too short, but there's lots of 'wiggle room' with that.
- 'Doc
VREELAND
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by VREELAND »

So the 102 (or 108, i forget) whip i got for radio shack will work just fine? I may be pressing my luck, but is it okay to have a splitter come off that single antenna and go into my scanner and my cb (i know for the CB the SWR must be around 1:1)?
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

I don't think a 'splitter' would be a very good idea at all. It wouldn't be the SWR you would have to worry about, but burning out the 'front end' of that scanner when you keyed the CB. A typical 102" whip would 'work' with that scanner. But, an antenna closer to the length for the bands you listen to with that scanner would work better.
- 'Doc
smooth16
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by smooth16 »

Get a separate antenna .
My 108 is a great cb unit. Way to big for the 154-157 mhz local pd/sheriff/rescue squad.
Radio shack and others have a 1 foot tall antenna which is cheap and will do your bct-8 right.
VREELAND
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by VREELAND »

all things considered, after the CBRT input and some side research, I went with a 3 foot antenna from Radio Shack. It covers all of the frequencies that I would like it to cover and its magnetic, so it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. Normally it was about 30, I got it for 15 with a coupon.

Thank you again for your knowledge, it helped a lot!