I have What Is Known As A Conundrum

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
MOWildman
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Radio: Cobra GTL 2000

I have What Is Known As A Conundrum

Post by MOWildman »

I am wanting to get another SSB Rig. I also want to get the (Freeband?) or extra channels the locals in my rural area talk on. I have owned a Galaxy, My Dad had a Cobra.
Now the new Uniden looks sweet and has good reviews. I am at a loss of what to get, so someone make up my mind for me.

Has to be SSB, peak and tune for a small Amp. and also mods for the extra channels.Where to by and have the mods done in one shot.
I hope someone can help my out here, thanks in advance.
The one and only MOWildman.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: I have What Is Known As A Conundrum

Post by 1206FL »

Just get an optima mk3. No need for any mods. Come open from just under 25mhz to 29.99 MHz. Great SSB radio. Dual final 50 watt SSB radio with variable rf power and the only export radio that has a 2nd filter for SSB at 455khz. Works well on 10-12 meters actually from all accounts. I used mine without an amp and made contacts all over the world while mobile. No drift issues and they are a simple to use radio. JMHO. Google for where to buy or check the auction site. There is one true distributor for the radio in New Zealand. He will make the radio right and send the newer style mic as well. Other than that, if you can get an Icom HM36 mic for it. The real ones made in Japan sound way better than the knock offs I'll say that. So buy with caution as far as that goes. Guys use other Icom mics as well. Most 8 pin Icom mics will work with this radio. Only other radios I would recommend is the Stryker 955 or Lincoln 2. JMO.
wi 544
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Gizmotchy
Radio: several

Post by wi 544 »

optima mk3!!
Buzzweiser
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Peacemaker
Antenna: Performer 5000
Radio: Custom Built 2970N4

Post by Buzzweiser »

I haven't seen where anyone has been able to mod the new Uniden yet for freeband use. The Optima is a fine radio as the others have said. The only disadvantage I see with the Optima is distance just by chance there would be an issue with the radio. I've heard good reviews of the Lincoln II and they do sound good on the air, have talked to many with them the last year in DX. Ranger still has the tried and true 2950DX. Very easy to mod to freeband and they sound great on SSB. I personally use one in the mobile and have never had an issue with mine since i bought it. Over 3 years now in all kinds of weather. You do need to let them warm up when really cold outside but you should do that with any radio. The sponsor site GI Joes has both the latter two radios readily available as well as the Stryker 955. I do not have any experience with the Strykers so I don't have an opinion of them.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

What do you mean by distance with the optima?? They are a very reliable radio and can take one heck of a beating. They are a clean, clear sounding SSB radio, the only one that offers a 2nd filter for SSB. Don't see that on any other export, and it makes a big difference when pulling in signals when the floor noise is bad. I've talked out to 50+ miles locally with mine with a sirio performer 5000, barefoot to a base. That is with 50-60 watts on SSB. The radio also sports a built in cooling fan so it never gets hot. Not sure what you have heard about the optima mk3, but it's one of the best SSB radios I've used. JMHO. I've had my optima mk3 for over 2yrs now and zero issues with it as well. And this was all while in a work truck. Getting taken down rough roads daily. So again, not sure about the question of quality but the optima mk3 is quality built.
Buzzweiser
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Peacemaker
Antenna: Performer 5000
Radio: Custom Built 2970N4

Post by Buzzweiser »

I was talking for warranty service in the rare case it needed any. It takes awhile for a box to get to New Zealand.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

By distance I think he meant coming from New Zealand since that is the only place selling that radio. I would look at the sponsors site first since they help pay the bills here and let the other overseas sites get maybe a second chance. GI Joe's is one of the best still in the CB business and can do mods if needed. It really depends on how deep your pockets are, the cheap way to go would be a Galaxy DX 949 and do the mods yourself, they are very easy and then find a good shop to do an alignment. Joe's offers mods for this radio too. From there the prices excavates.
FYI, that NZ distributor has been having a hard time filling orders, this is from some Aussie's I talk to on a regular basis.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

They are on the flea bay for 269 shipped. Just saw them on there. But I do understand the site sponsors. And I also understand the shipping deal. GI joes has been good to me as well. I bought my last magnum 257hp from them. Worked well. Still does. Just don't use them much anymore now that I have gotten the HF radio bug LOL. If money isn't an issue, have a look at the Icom 7100, or the kenwood 480HX. Both will knock the socks off any export radio on SSB. Just my 2 pennies.
MOWildman
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by MOWildman »

Thanks everyone for your valued opinions and suggestions. I remembered I have an older DX959 in the storage shed. Will GI Joes go over it and make sure it works and do the mods I want, or do they just do the stuff to what they sell. Again, thanks a bunch.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

That would be a question to ask them, here is the site, http://www.*** Not a Sponsor ***/ .

3's

Greg

silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

GI Joes has always done me right. I've bought 3 radios from them. Fast turn around too. After they do an alignment and or mods he puts a warranty sticker on the side. That's for your protection and his. He'll honor his work as long as you don't tamper with that sticker. Very good place to buy from. Highly recommended. Lincoln 2 just under 3 bills now at joes... At least the last time I checked it was.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
paganville
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by paganville »

Good Morning, I have owned the Optima MK3 since April and as far as talking SSB it is excellent. I quickly fell in love with the VFO and the clarity of the receive on SSB. It is not a big talker on AM but does the job well enough for local use with co-workers. It has no RB, Echo or Talkback, but being used for an SSB rig none of that mattered to me. Now as of 3 days ago I haven't had any problems, but I am now having a "motorboating" issue. To be fair I am still investigating what the actual problem is, but if it does turn out to be the radio the thought of paying shipping to NZ doesn't excite me much(I think it was 60 when I bought it). As mentioned before if you buy directly from "Mike" in NZ he sends it out with an upgraded stock mic that actually seems to work fairly well, but a third party seller won't have that option to my knowledge. In other news: I have seen good reviews on the Top Gun Quad 5 radio as well. I have been using Magnum S series(9,980 and my favorite S45 Omega force) for the last decade and the modulator in them that has made them popular in the AM world is made by the Top Gun company. I have never gotten a single bad report on SSB with my OFs45 in seven years using it with a Road Devil mic. Hope this helps a little with your conundrum!
halfwatt959
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: maco base/ whip mobi
Radio: too many to list

Post by halfwatt959 »

JMHO but I bought the super star 158edx. it will go from 24-29MHZ. mine does 45 AM and 55-60 on SSB. I paid just under 300 and cant complain. In fact I've been hunting another one for a spare and one more for the van to replace my galaxy 959. I do not max out any of my radios as the money to replace one is hard to come by and amps and or transistors are fairly cheap. I have never heard anything bad about GIJoes and may contact them about another 158. The only fault with my 158 is my fault. When I turned the talkback up I lifted the trace I soldered to. Not a big deal as some super glue in a diabetic syringe put it back on the board all works great. Even talked to france once on 39LSB!!!!!!!!!. I know once aint nothing to the big boys but I sure was proud and my local friends were amazed. There again just my own experience and oppinion. What ever you decide I wish you many years of happy dx. 73
2 and 3/4 DX RADIO CHAOS. Halfwatt959 " I MAY NOT CAN FIX IT BUT I CAN TAKE IT APART"
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!
MOWildman
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by MOWildman »

Well, I got my DX959 installed with 102" mounted in the bed next to cab centered. SWR @ 1.3 or less.
Now for the problem. Receives OK/normal but when the Mic is keyed the meter goes all the way to the left. Ant. wrn light stays off.
I haven't even gotten to talk with anyone yet. Is this thing fried already or what can I trouble shoot?
Thanks for any help.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

have you put a meter in line to see if it puts watts out. do you have the switch turned to mod or swr . do you talk into the mic and the meter moves. etc. with out knowing what you have the meter switch turned to or if you are on ssb when keyed. hard to help you with your 1st statement.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

MOWildman wrote:"Receives OK/normal but when the Mic is keyed the meter goes all the way to the left. Ant. wrn light stays off.
Do you mean to the "right"? What did you set the SWR with?

3's

Greg

MOWildman
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by MOWildman »

With the built in SWR Meter, the needle sits all the way to left when off and with a signal moves to right.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

So when you switch the meter to S/RF mode from SWR mode it swings to the right and farther with as you talk?

3's

Greg

MOWildman
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by MOWildman »

no, it pegs all the way to the left..opposite of what it should.

-- Mar 13th, '16, 11:14 --
sonoma wrote:have you put a meter in line to see if it puts watts out. do you have the switch turned to mod or swr . do you talk into the mic and the meter moves. etc. with out knowing what you have the meter switch turned to or if you are on ssb when keyed. hard to help you with your 1st statement.
Havent been able to hook up to a different meter yet. I havent even tried to talk on SSB yet. When I first started with it, everything worked as it should.SWR,MOD, PWR.
now the meter does move while the radio receives.(moves toward the right) but when the MIC is keyed, it goes all the way to left, where the needle sits when the radio is off.

-- Mar 13th, '16, 11:17 --
MDYoungblood wrote:So when you switch the meter to S/RF mode from SWR mode it swings to the right and farther with as you talk?

3's

Greg
That would be the way it normally should work and did. But does the opposite now.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

In SSB mode the meter will go to the left until you talk into the mic then it should swing to the right, what is it doing in AM mode.

3's

Greg

paganville
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by paganville »

Did you end up sending the radio off for "mods"? Does the meter still go to the left in AM with the RF power turned up? BTW my Optima MKIII is fine! A piece of coax that I had been using for quite awhile all of a sudden went bad and was causing the "Motorboating" and also I would like to mention that when I did contact Yeticom in NZ via email I had responses within a couple of hours!
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

The 959 will do fine, GI Joe's is fine.
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)