water leak

This is the place to show off that ride, ask questions, or find answers about your favorite cars, trucks, 4X4`s, street rods.

Moderator: JR Moderator

bigboy250
Donor
Donor

water leak

Post by bigboy250 » Friday, 08 August 2008, 11:44 AM

working on a 1996 Dodge Intrepid (3.5L MFI) that was my wife's and now it is my oldest car it sat for about 2 years until now. any ways it runs fine and drives good ,but the problem it has is that when you park it it start to leak water out of the overflow tube from the reserve tank .to me it dose not run hot but to wife it dose. on dash board meter it gets up to about the half way mark and then fans come on. i have look at everything that it could be but don,t know what else to do. history, new timing belt,thermostat, water pump, radiator cap.so i don't know what else it could be. it seem to hold pressure until it starts to leak out . any ideas would be thank full.

firefighter
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by firefighter » Friday, 08 August 2008, 11:48 AM

meter going to half way mark is normal, nothing to worry about there...sounds like a bad radiator cap or a cap w/ too low of a pressure rating allowing it to leak water

f-250ford
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Referrals: 1

Post by f-250ford » Friday, 08 August 2008, 12:33 PM

do you fill it to the top every time it could be just to much water.

slydog
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by slydog » Friday, 08 August 2008, 13:07 PM

firefighter wrote:meter going to half way mark is normal, nothing to worry about there...sounds like a bad radiator cap or a cap w/ too low of a pressure rating allowing it to leak water
Agree on the radiator cap.
I was sent home for not playing well with others.

bullfrog1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by bullfrog1 » Friday, 07 November 2008, 6:36 AM

Try to let it run with the radiator cap off until the fan cycles twice with the a/c off and the ac temp adjusted to full hot. Some times after the coolant is drained and parts are replaced an air bubble can get in the system. Letting it run with the cap off until the fans cycle twice should take care of the air bubble. Fill the surge tank up to the max line and check to make sure the cap is holding pressure. Also, if you are seeing lots of bubbles in the coolant with the engine running, or coolant shoots out of the radiator when started, then it is possible you have a blown head gasket that is causing excessive pressure and heat to get into the cooling system.

Grump
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Grump » Saturday, 08 November 2008, 7:14 AM

check and see if there is a bleeder valve and try and bleed air out. you said it gets hot when your wife drives it how hot does it get also if it only leaks when you shut it down I don't think it is radiator cap it would leak all the time if rad cap was bad. Cars generally tend to get hotter when you shut them down. Are you filling the resevior full or are you filling it to the cold level when the engine is cold. It could be just that you are filling it to much

backwoods
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by backwoods » Saturday, 08 November 2008, 7:52 AM

I have a radiator shop and it does indeed sound like air in the system. When you shut a car off it super heats due to the lack of coolant flow. It will be hotter a few minutes after shutdown than any other time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic