ATV's Which brand do you prefer

This is the place to show off that ride, ask questions, or find answers about your favorite cars, trucks, 4X4`s, street rods.

Moderator: JR Moderator

What brand of Utility 4x4 ATV would you buy and why

Honda Rincon
17%
Yamaha Grizzly 700
22%
Polaris Sportsman 850
39%
Artic Cat Thundercat 1000 H2
4%
Suzuki King Quad
4%
Kawasaki Brute Force 750
13%

Total votes: 23

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Galaxy 88, 99v, GL

ATV's Which brand do you prefer

Post by SARGE » Monday, 05 October 2009, 19:10 PM

I have been looking seriously at buying a new 4x4 ATV and am considering a Polaris. Personally, I don't know jack about them, as I have always had either a Honda or Yamaha. The idea of having a belt drive concerns me, but not as much as burning up the tranny/torque converter found in the Honda. I suppose if the belt drive was all that bad, every maker out there would not use it, nor wouldit be found in Harley's either.
I just want something that will perform great around the house while doing chores (towing trailer of firewood...) and manage to climb the rocky, muddy hillsides found here along the bluffs of the TN river!

If you have a preferance, explain why and what turned you off of the other makes.

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: ATV's Which brand do you prefer

Post by SARGE » Wednesday, 07 October 2009, 15:48 PM

I guess no one has any pros or cons about any of the machines I have listed. I surely thought there would be a few people to reply to this poll.

tx213
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Name: Ron

Post by tx213 » Wednesday, 07 October 2009, 16:17 PM

If it was me I would go with the Artic Cat. But that is only because I live in a small town and the only dealer here is Artic Cat. :drunken:

P.S. did you get the pics I emailed you?

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by SARGE » Wednesday, 07 October 2009, 16:32 PM

No, I did not get the pics. I will look tomorrow at work on a real computer!

I have thought about that big ArticCat, but like everything with the exception of the Honda and yamaha, I know nothing about them.

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: 2 tin cans + string
Name: Rob
Referrals: 6

Post by linx » Thursday, 08 October 2009, 5:10 AM

Best 4 wheeler we own, and have ever owned is an Arctic Cat. Given it's a 2005 model and only 400 CC, but the 4x4 system with the push button locking differentals is awesome. Very tall but a low center of gravity. Factory lightweight aluminum wheels and winch. Fuel injected of course.

We have a Yamaha too which is "ok".

My friend has a Polaris and it's good as long as you like replacing the drive belts.

Another friend drives a Honda and it's a beast.
Admin - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by SARGE » Thursday, 08 October 2009, 10:30 AM

I have heard this about the Polaris 4wheelers, more so with the older ones. I was thinking that they had gotten that taken care of, guess not! Last thing I want is to get my son and I deep off into the woods just to be stranded due to some rubber belt. I know that most have them, but some can be more pron to failure than others, weither it be to cheaper components or design.

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: 2 tin cans + string
Name: Rob
Referrals: 6

Post by linx » Thursday, 08 October 2009, 16:22 PM

Yeah, I hear ya Sarge.
My friends, I think is like a 2006 or so.

It's hard for me to be a Polaris hater man. We've got 2 newer Honda PWC's but we have a 1995 Polaris Hurricane PWC that has been awesome. Plus Polaris owns Victory which is awesome.

It's a tough decision man. If you didn't want to buy new, there's some killer deals on Craigslist. We were just looking at some 700 and 800's that were only a couple of years old for under $3k. We saw some newer Arctic Cat 400's for $2600 at like a little over a year old.

Btw, with our 400 Arctic Cat, we can do 54 mph on flat level surface. Not sure how much more power you are needing. I also use this Polaris to raise and lower my tower with the winch and it never even spins the tires.

Go to my Journal and you can see it on my first post.
Admin - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by SARGE » Thursday, 08 October 2009, 19:08 PM

That part of arctic cat being American, built in MI. And that 1000cc engine makes it hard to pull away from! It's a tough decission after being away from atv's and dirtbikes for so long. I have not even thought about looking on craigs list! Does not have to be new, just reasuring that I'm not buying someonelses problems, especialy with a product you know nothing about (quality). A year ago I was wanting to get a Polaris ranger xp, but after making a recent visit to my hunting grounds, I quickly realized that it would be too big to maneuver through the thick brush. 50 acres of untouched woods plum full of deer!

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by SARGE » Sunday, 11 October 2009, 8:18 AM

I have been doing some more research on the arctic cats, reading some reviews, both from owners and from the magizines. The mags claim it to be an outstanding machine, but some of the owner reviews speak of an overheating issue. If any of you have a 1000 or know someone that does, has this been a problem? Sitting here in the woods in middle TN, the deer are running ramped! I must of had atleast 5 move past my tent last night and everytime they came close to where I relieved myself, man would they begin to snort! I thought it was funny! I may make it through this deer season with this little yamaha 250, but it is definately going to be a struggle with someof these steep hills!

pitbull3825
Donor
Donor
Radio: RCI 2995DX,S45,99V
Name: D.Porter
Home Phone: 2626204180

Post by pitbull3825 » Friday, 30 October 2009, 5:58 AM

Sorry but none of those I am a serious sports quad guy. 2008 Kawasaki 450R
Honorable discharge 8 years U.S. Army 63S E-5
Locally you will listen to what I say!!!

"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep.

When we fall asleep, we commit no sin When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!"

George Bernard Shaw

dozerpilot
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: RA General Lee
Name: Jason
Referrals: 1

Post by dozerpilot » Saturday, 23 January 2010, 13:34 PM

I have a 09 850XP and it's a monster. As long as you use the high and low gears like you're supposed to you won't have a belt problem. Mine had a recall on the front ball joints and the crank case breather, but that didn't cost me anything and it was the 1st year for the model. The group I ride with has a Grizzly 700, Rancher 420, a Brute Force 750, and both a Can AM 650 and 550. I've ridden all of them but the Can Ams. My Popo and the Can Ams have the best ground clearance. Mine is the heaviest machine by far, but it rides the smoothest. The way I see it though, once you reach 500 plus pounds, it doesn't matter how much the thing wieghs. There is no way you're going to pick it up. The 850 and brute force will both wheelie. I hit 72 going uphill on mine before I ran out of road. I can power slide it on the fire roads almost like my KFX. It really feels sporty for such a big quad. To me, the Brute force feels cramped, and the Grizzz feels top heavy and tall. The seat and rider position on mine feels the most like a sport quad, but is still comfortable for 80 mile rides.

nutcracker
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Plastic

Post by nutcracker » Saturday, 23 January 2010, 16:50 PM

I had an 03 arctic cat 400i and it was nice, had big tires and a small lift and would go through about anything and pull quite alot. I have a sport quad now that I ride, so I cant comment on any of the others.

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by SARGE » Saturday, 06 March 2010, 23:13 PM

Alright, so I have been doing some more research and from I have gathered, it all boils down to either a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 or the Can Am 800 max xt. I am more or so leaning towards the Can Am, but the price of the 750 keeps catching my eye! The only thing I like more of the 800 is the 2 up seating and the ground clearance, and the fact it comes with the bumpers and winch. I just dont care for their YELLOW color and the camo is hard to come by. The dealers say the camo is hard to sell, that everyone wants the signature yellow ones. Out of all quads, the 750 seems to have the least clearance, but it has one of the best prices. Guess the money saved can be put towards a small lift.

Anyone own either of these two models and have some input on how well they perform and hold up. For nearly the price of a dang car they had best last a good 15 years, if well taken care of and not beat all to.... The Harley is going up for sale this spring!

dragline
Donor
Donor
Radio: connex
Name: monti

Post by dragline » Monday, 08 March 2010, 14:28 PM

yamaha all the way. down here in the south these red necks will use and abuse any and everything. have had all of the above listed units try to come through my shop. i refuse to work on Poolaris, artic cat, suckzuki, and cant am. honda and yamaha are the only ones that have any durability to them in my opinion. sure, neither manufacturer makes the fastest one on the market but me personally speed doesnt matter when i go around you on your "other brand" because of a broken "thingamajig". the bottom line is is get you a grizzly 700 or a honda foreman without the electric shift if you can find one and put you a tow strap in the box for when your buddies break down you can pull them back to safety.

good luck,
Drag

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic