Which Battery ?

This is the place to show off that ride, ask questions, or find answers about your favorite cars, trucks, 4X4`s, street rods.

Moderator: JR Moderator

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Which Battery ?

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 8:18 AM

Okay, I got a 04 Dodge Ram with the Hemi in it, alternator is a 210A. I've ran an Optima Yellow Top (D34-78) for 5 years and now not holding a charge (they only have a 3 year warranty) so I need a new battery. I'm not running a big amp like in the past, just a 2 pill now, my CB, and a 2m radio. What brand do you think are the best, don't need to post a link, I'll look them up, thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

ImageImageImage
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Re: Which Battery ?

Post by jessejamesdallas » Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 9:55 AM

I just use the Walmart batterys...they have a 3 or 5 year free replacement warrenty... and you don't have to hang onto your receipt either. If for any reason it quits holding a charge, you get a new one.
Last edited by jessejamesdallas on Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 13:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL » Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 10:20 AM

Batteries and more or batteries + sells a Duracell battery for vehicle use that is made by DEKA. Good batts. Just another option

Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Cell Phone: 1-800-MUD-DUCK

Post by Bombero » Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 11:16 AM

Hey..

I have 1 or 2 Walmart batteries in my sons older Toyota trucks, but I've always been a fan of Interstate batteries.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

http://www.hamqsl.com/solar101pic.php

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 11:29 AM

I should add that I'm looking to buy it online. Purchasing local hits you several fees and taxes, the return/recycle refund does even covered it, guess it's one of the perks (sarcasm) of living in Maryland.

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

ImageImageImage
Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 13:03 PM

MDYoungblood wrote:I should add that I'm looking to buy it online. Purchasing local hits you several fees and taxes, the return/recycle refund does even covered it, guess it's one of the perks (sarcasm) of living in Maryland.

3's

Greg
You can buy from walmart online...then go to the store and pick it up, or have it delivered.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

PA629
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PA629 » Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 23:40 PM

I ran a Walmart battery for a number of years, never had any problems with it. Would probably still have it but traded the car in on another one. BTW, Consumer's Reports gave Walmart batteries a pretty good rating a few years back. Just a FYI.
Base: Galaxy DX2517, D104 Silver Eagle w/W2ENY element, SB 220, Imax 2000, 4 element quad
Mobile: Galaxy 95T2, Astatic 575-M6, Sirio P-5000 Performer, Unmentionable 4x2879

dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Name: David g.

Post by dgbacb4148 » Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 23:47 PM

Greg, JJD is correct, online order through w/mart, pick it up store which is FREE or deliver to home for a charge. You will need core battery. JMO, GOOD LUCK.
David g. :cheers:
AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik.

USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961

[/color Image Image

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Which Battery ?

Post by 1206FL » Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 2:38 AM

The Duracell batts can be purchased at Sam's club, 3yr free replacement. You can also order them online through Sam's club. If you are a member. Great batts. I know East Penn Manufacturing is the one that makes the Duracell battery. Same company that makes DEKA batteries as well as Odyssey. At any rate, I have had pretty good luck so far with mine.
Not trying to start anything here, just throwing out some other options. The Walmart batteries have always served me well so I can't say they are bad by any means. That is for sure. Just thought I would try something different made by a well known Battery company known for commercial stuff, (DEKA). At any rate good luck with whatever you decide and be safe installing it!!

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 8:39 AM

Buying from a local store with an online service like Walmart, you still get hit with the taxes, return deposit, and surcharges (recycle fee), here it adds like $20+ to the cost.

Did a little investagation on the web, Johnson Controls makes 90% of all automotive (OEM and store brand name) batteries, then it's Exide and East Penn, there is a few others (China and India) but they aren't in the USA market place (yet).

I have a online Mopar shop that I deal with a lot, he's sending an OEM battery and I couldn't beat their the price, free delivery, and no tax. Thanks guys.

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

ImageImageImage
Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 29 March 2016, 7:41 AM

Now this is good, after ordering it (March 16th) from well known Mopar Parts dealer and following the tracking number (FedEx) saying it's shipped I receive an email (yesterday) from my friend saying a battery can't be shipped to me, hazardous material, too costly. Looks like I have to get it local. Good thing I'm not in a hurry for it. Was at Home Depot yesterday and saw they have Exide and at a good price.

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

ImageImageImage
Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II

Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Radio: Yaesu FT-991
Antenna: 700' Loop
Name: Kerry

Post by Lost Ram » Tuesday, 29 March 2016, 11:03 AM

I like to run the dual purpose marine start/deep cycle in my trucks. They seem to work well. I have two trucks with them and have always been happy with the results. I also like the fact they have top post terminals and the threaded connections, great for people with Radios and Stereos.
CB: TRC-450, Imax@50'
Ham : Yaesu FT-857D, FT-897D, FT-990 and FT-991, FT-8900
Ham Antennas: 700' and 258' wire loop, Maco shooting Star tuned for 10 Meter, 250' doublet, 8E 2M Quad-SSB, 4E 2M Quad-FM, 2M Copper Slim Jim 2M omni.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.

bluemeanie
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Name: Mark Schwab
Home Phone: 9706253581
Cell Phone: 9709489991

Post by bluemeanie » Tuesday, 29 March 2016, 16:21 PM

Wal-Mart offers 3 year free replacement. Most others 12 month replacement then pro-rated. the pro rating on a battery is set up for list price. After 1/2 the warranty period the battery is cheaper out right. Only 3 major battery manufacturers in the states as stated and make 90 percent of everything. Get the 3 year replacement and don't worry about it. If you think its getting weak exchange it before 3 years is up.
Blue

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Tuesday, 29 March 2016, 17:15 PM

bluemeanie wrote:Wal-Mart offers 3 year free replacement. Most others 12 month replacement then pro-rated. the pro rating on a battery is set up for list price. After 1/2 the warranty period the battery is cheaper out right. Only 3 major battery manufacturers in the states as stated and make 90 percent of everything. Get the 3 year replacement and don't worry about it. If you think its getting weak exchange it before 3 years is up.
Blue
That's what I do! Back in January I took 4 batterys that I have as a battery-bank in my work van back up to Walmart because the warranty was fixing to run out, and told them I didn't think they were holding a charge...Gal at the desk hooked each one up to a meter, then said "Yep, there toast!"

Got 4 more new battery's at no cost...not real clear if I get another 3 year warranty on those tho....

I think now some of Walmart's battery's have a 5 year warranty.

dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Name: David g.

Post by dgbacb4148 » Tuesday, 29 March 2016, 19:03 PM

Lost Ram wrote:I like to run the dual purpose marine start/deep cycle in my trucks. They seem to work well. I have two trucks with them and have always been happy with the results. I also like the fact they have top post terminals and the threaded connections, great for people with Radios and Stereos.
Times two..........you saved me from loading exactly as you did.......EXTRA TERMINALS!!!!!!!
David g. :cheers:
AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik.

USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961

[/color Image Image

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Wednesday, 30 March 2016, 8:28 AM

After checking around at prices it seems that "WallyMart" and "Sam's Club" have the best price and warranty, time to get out the credit card.

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

ImageImageImage
Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Wednesday, 30 March 2016, 15:07 PM

MDYoungblood wrote:After checking around at prices it seems that "WallyMart" and "Sam's Club" have the best price and warranty, time to get out the credit card.

3's

Greg
Yep...But between those two, I would opt. for Wally World over SAM's simply because it's easier to find a Wally World if your stuck out on the road somewhere, plus in most cases you can get "In and Out" of Wally World quicker. :icon_e_wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic