Slide Mount - Signal Loss?

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
RoyInNaptown
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Antenna: Loop
Radio: Yaesu

Slide Mount - Signal Loss?

Post by RoyInNaptown »

I picked up a couple slide mounts on eBay. I loved these things back in the 70's for quickly removing/installing the radio in the car. Looking at the design now I'm wondering if using one of these would result in some level of signal loss, and if so would it be more than a negligible amount. I'm think there would be some due to the fact that they introduce an inch or so of un-shielded cable by virtue of the copper contacts for the antenna.

I can testify that there is no negative affect on SWR. Just wondering if signal loss could be an issue. Opinions?
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Yes
Radio: Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom

Re: Slide Mount - Signal Loss?

Post by Slyguy »

I would say there will be some but probably not noticeable. Hook up a watt meter just after the radio, before the mount. Then do the same thing after the mount and see what you get.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
RoyInNaptown
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Antenna: Loop
Radio: Yaesu

Post by RoyInNaptown »

Wattmeter test shows no change going through the mount vs direct. On the air testing shows no perceptible difference either way. I should probably stop tilting at this particular windmill. :)
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Haven't use one of those things since the 70's...Only problem I can remember with them was sometimes the copper contacts would not make a good contact and loose power to the radio or antenna...It was like the two halfs of the mount didn't always line up right.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have them in my pickup so I can change out radios easier, only use them for power to the low output radios and the speaker/pa connections, I prefer to hook/unhook the PL259 connection. The higher output radios have "Anderson Power Plugs" on them.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
wild willy
Donor
Donor
Antenna: SS Whip, Dipole
Radio: Many Different

Post by wild willy »

MDYoungblood wrote:I have them in my pickup so I can change out radios easier, only use them for power to the low output radios and the speaker/pa connections, I prefer to hook/unhook the PL259 connection. The higher output radios have "Anderson Power Plugs" on them.

3's

Greg
I just bought some Anderson connectors. I really like them.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Anderson Power Plugs are the only way to go if you have to remove your radio, I have had to repair a few radios because of using the plug on the back. They come in all colors, I use red and black naturally for power, green for ground, orange (PA) and blue for speakers.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department