Install on F250

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
dvia644
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Install on F250

Post by dvia644 »

I have a 2013 F250 for my company truck. The truck is a crew cab 4door, with the 6.5' bed which has a all fiberglass camper shell cover. Cover is made for truck so it is flush with top of cab. I also have a 5000 watt inverter onboard. I will be running a galaxy 33hp2, with a Wilson 5000 mag mount. Mag mount due to not wanting to drill into the roof of a truck I do not own. I am still awaiting antenna to arrive.

A couple of questions.

1. Will the all fiberglass camper shell interfere with the antenna's SWR? I am thinking no, as it is all fiberglass with absolutely no aluminum or steel framing and all wiring is ran underneath the bed rails, what little there is for the rear brake light.

2. Since I have a 5000w inverter located in my back seat area, would it be beneficial to purchase a DC power supply plugged into the inverter to provide power to the radio? Right now the radio is installed with wiring going directly to the battery.

Thank you in advance for the replies.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Install on F250

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello dvia644,
Welcome to the forum. No the shell won't interfere with the antenna, using a magnet mount the only big problem is pinching the coax where it enters the vehicle. It's a good idea to add a ground strap to the shell even if it is fiberglass, it will help drain off static buildup, (a fiberglass trait). I wouldn't do the inverter thing just run the power leads to the battery.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
dvia644
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Re: Install on F250

Post by dvia644 »

Thanks for the reply. I finally got my antenna in Saturday. Hooked up my SWR meter and got my SWR 1.3 on ch1 and a flat 1 on ch40. Started 1.5 on ch1. I can live with it.

I do have a question about this radio. I know not having my ticket I can not talk off of D band, but what would be some popular frequencies I could listen to on a-c or e-f? There are times I am on the road for 15+ hours and get tired of listening to blabbering truck drivers.