Puck mount antenna options

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
BIGHOG
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Big Hog
Radio: Stryker

Puck mount antenna options

Post by BIGHOG »

So Ive finished the install on my 2006 Duramax crewcab dually. Stryker 447 with a fatboy 2x8 and a puckmount on top of the cab.

The problem is I used to switch back and force between my 10k and my 108 whip when all the gear was in my S-10. Now the 108 is waaaaaay to long to run and the 10k is an issue where I like because of tree limbs as well.

Can I take a wilson 5000 and screw it into my puck mount some kind of way? Or other antenna options that are more tree friendly? I absolutely love my 108, just cant do it.......

BIGHOG 406 Mobile
Richmond, VA
BIGHOG 406 Mobile
Richmond VA
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Puck mount antenna options

Post by MDYoungblood »

The Sirio roof mount will work with the Wilson 5000, (and the 1000 too), contact DNJ, he is a sponsor of the forum, they're 2 different versions, one has RG58 coax and the other RG8X. I also answered your other post too.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

if its a SS whip then you dont have to worry unless you hit a really low branch,,, what can happen thou is you'll crack the puck loose.
i made a 5" dia. puck with 4 bolts and large fender washers holding it on, dissipates the load well.
other problem might be if a cop thinks your over heigth, and then if you are close to any power lines, like when you go to the big city and hit a trolleycar line,
BIGHOG
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by BIGHOG »

443 Arizona wrote: May 21st, 2017, 12:14 pm if its a SS whip then you dont have to worry unless you hit a really low branch,,, what can happen thou is you'll crack the puck loose.
i made a 5" dia. puck with 4 bolts and large fender washers holding it on, dissipates the load well.
other problem might be if a cop thinks your over heigth, and then if you are close to any power lines, like when you go to the big city and hit a trolleycar line,
Lol. Ive run a 108" for many years on a puck mounted s10. At 15.5" feet high on my crew cab it is not an option. Guess there aren't many trees in Phoenix. :lol:

That's why I'm asking is there a way to take a base load antenna (like a wilson 5000) and screw it into a puck mount that has a 3/8-24 female thread?
BIGHOG 406 Mobile
Richmond VA
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

if it has the threaded stud as you are saying the same thing should work in the mount.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

This is what I was talking about on your other post, use the antenna stud upside down to screw the Wilson onto and screw the 3/8 24 thread into the puck. Now like I said the trick will be to ground the base of the antenna and waterproof the load.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
BIGHOG
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by BIGHOG »

Anybody have any luck with a Sirio Perfomer 5000? It looks like that would fit my needs for the height of the truck and I wont have to listen to those noisy coils on the Predator 10k and more. It seems like its exactly what I'm looking or and don't have to do anything silly to mount it. I see there is one that has a 3/8-24 stud to screw directly into a puck mount. Based on my research they seem to be a quality antenna. Anybody have any experience with them? And running power in a mobile with one (8 pill Fatboy)?
BIGHOG 406 Mobile
Richmond VA
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio5000/Nagoya77B
Radio: 980SSB/YaesuFT3200DR

Post by DevilDog66 »

Hey there BIGHOG, I own a Sirio Performer 5000 Fighter Edition mag mount and it is a great antenna! Right out of the box my SWRs were practically flat (approx 1.1) its receive is phenomenal! I used to have a K40 that would barely get in a station that was 8 miles away, which was pretty good for an urban environment, well, when I put up the Sirio that station sounded like he was next door to me! Transmit is just as good too! I can regularly make contacts barefoot out to about 6-7 miles and depending on the weather and location a can get out about 10 miles. So I IMHO would definitely pull the trigger on the Sirio 5000. DNJ Radio one of our fine sponsors sells them here in the US for a reasonable price, I've dealt with them before and they have a top notch customer service department, you can't go wrong if you buy from DNJ.....73's! :cheers:
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic
BIGHOG
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by BIGHOG »

Thanks for the input guys. I ordered the Performer 5000 Fighter from DNJ (it would be cooler if there was a Combat Action edition) lol. Looking forward to see how it does.

A fello Leatherneck waiving back at ya DevilDog66......... Semper Fi and YAT-YAS AMTRACKIN ALL THE WAY! 1833 IN THE HOUSE
BIGHOG 406 Mobile
Richmond VA