cobra 29LTD Dale Earnhardt

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
aggie1878
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

cobra 29LTD Dale Earnhardt

Post by aggie1878 »

Hi all I just bought a used cobra 29LTD Dale Earnhardt CB. I only payed $30 for it and I could not test it to see if it worked. So after I bought it, I took it to my CB guy and guess what? That's right it didn't work *&^&* is what I said. He told me it was not major. Thank god. He said that the power cable might have been reversed once. So he fixed that for free. Sweet. I had it peaked and tuned to 24 watts and aligned and talk back put on. The $65 for the mods and $4 for the power cable fro a grand total of $99 Not too bad I think. So now here are my questions...

What other mods can be done to my 29?
What amp can I or should I run?
What antenna should I run?
What would be a good mic for it? my 29 has a Diesel 4-3 that my CB guy did some work too, to make it a little better.
What external speaker should I use?

Think that it. If I missed anything let me know

Thanks for your time and reading.
Aggie
Ricky
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: coily, a99
Radio: Magnum s9 Galaxy Bas

Post by Ricky »

is it a base or mobile? i really dont know of any more mods for it. the antenna you should use with it ether a wilson 1000 or 5000. Base antenna, use an antron99 or imax 2000. i have the 1000 mobile and A99 base and they work great works great. amp, you probably would be good with a palomar 250, for a base get a power supply for that amp. mike, a superstar dm452 would be good. Base, an Astatic 878DM both work great. i just use a speaker from radioshack, not to bad.
aggie1878
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by aggie1878 »

Ricky wrote:is it a base or mobile? i really dont know of any more mods for it. the antenna you should use with it ether a wilson 1000 or 5000. Base antenna, use an antron99 or imax 2000. i have the 1000 mobile and A99 base and they work great works great. amp, you probably would be good with a palomar 250, for a base get a power supply for that amp. mike, a superstar dm452 would be good. Base, an Astatic 878DM both work great. i just use a speaker from radioshack, not to bad.
its a moble 29 ltd
rayray1963

Post by rayray1963 »

First welcome to the forum, If your planning on running a amp, you can have a variable power mod done on it so you can adjust the dead key, Also you can have an echo board installed. Then you can have him add a schottky diode to the receive side to help with the white noise that Cobras are famous for. Assuming your going to be mobile, a good starter amp would be a 2 pill by any of the big makers. Add a Wilson 1000 Magnet mount and your going to be sitting pretty. As far as Mic's go the Turner Road King 56 is a personal favorite of mine, and works really well with the Cobra. Hope this helps, keep us informed as to how it's going and how it all work's when you get it set up.

Ray
aggie1878
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by aggie1878 »

rayray1963 wrote:First welcome to the forum, If your planning on running a amp, you can have a variable power mod done on it so you can adjust the dead key, Also you can have an echo board installed. Then you can have him add a schottky diode to the receive side to help with the white noise that Cobras are famous for. Assuming your going to be mobile, a good starter amp would be a 2 pill by any of the big makers. Add a Wilson 1000 Magnet mount and your going to be sitting pretty. As far as Mic's go the Turner Road King 56 is a personal favorite of mine, and works really well with the Cobra. Hope this helps, keep us informed as to how it's going and how it all work's when you get it set up.

Ray
That for the reply. Ok here are more questions. What is dead key? My tech guy already set it up and is linear ready. Thinking of a 250 watt, I plan on going with a wilson 2000 for my semi. Sorry not going in a 4 wheeler. I just got my CDL last week and am waiting for my wife to get hers so we can run as a team.
rayray1963

Post by rayray1963 »

The dead key is when you first key the radio without speaking into it, speaking into it is called modulation or swing. Amps usually need a low dead key so you won't fry the amp by over driving it. By using a variable dead key you can turn it down when your running the amp or turn it up when barefoot. But since he already set it up to drive an amp then your pretty well set. A 250 Texas Star amp would be a great choice. They are well made and be very reliable. In a big truck the Wilson 2000 SW (short whip) is generally a good choice but you might consider a Predator 10k, it will be about the same in price but a far better antenna. You will need to get the coil of the antenna above the cab so you won't have any reflection. Plus you will need to have an swr of 1.3 or lower. They come with either a 5 inch or 10 inch shaft, it will depend on the make of tractor to determine which is the right one. Also get some good quality coax, not the cheap truck stop kind. The antenna and coax are the biggest factor in how well you will TX/RX. Do you know what kind of truck you will be driving yet? Some have grounding issue's. I have been driving for over 20 years and have had to deal with all kinds of different setups. Also if you decide to buy an amp check out some of the sponsors here, they are all great to deal with and most give forum members a discount. If you need anything feel free to call me, my cell number is on my profile. I would be glad to help anyway I can.
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

rayray1963 wrote:First welcome to the forum, If your planning on running a amp, you can have a variable power mod done on it so you can adjust the dead key, Also you can have an echo board installed. Then you can have him add a schottky diode to the receive side to help with the white noise that Cobras are famous for. Assuming your going to be mobile, a good starter amp would be a 2 pill by any of the big makers. Add a Wilson 1000 Magnet mount and your going to be sitting pretty. As far as Mic's go the Turner Road King 56 is a personal favorite of mine, and works really well with the Cobra. Hope this helps, keep us informed as to how it's going and how it all work's when you get it set up.

Ray
Ray,

Thanks for posting that information. I need a little work done on that DE Cobra 29 I just installed. The receive side I don't care for so I think that schottky diode might be what I need. I've got my Astatic 636L hooked up to it right now and that definitely cleaned up my audio. I might order me a RK56 just so that I'll have one of each. <I seem to remember a post in the past someone said that preferred one mic on an export radio, and the other on a CB radio such as a Cobra or Uniden.>
Tezterz

Post by Tezterz »

I also have the Earnhardt Sr. radio. I've tried many modifications on it. The mosfet mod, the super modulation mod, the mosfet supertune mod, added an echo board, added talkback and changed the channel 9 switch to a talkback on/off switch, and made a new faceplate.

The reason I got this radio was to tinker around with it and try out some mods. I got mine in like new condition for $35 so even if I messed it up I'm not out much. But I'll tell you this, the mosfet mods, to me, aren't that great, I took them back out because even though it might of raised my PEP watts a little, I wasn't happy with it for other reasons. They might be great if you're running an amp but I'm not.

I do like however the super modulation mod, the echo, and the talkback. The echo and a different mic made this radio sound much better.

One other thing, I didn't care for the squelch performance on the radio. Click here to find more info and the fix for that. I was told about it by a member of another forum.

That's the great thing about this hobby, YOU can decide what you like and make your radio the way you want it. And the 29 LTD is a great little radio to experiment with.

preacherman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Preacherman
Call Sign: K0EIR
Radio: Cobra 29, Lincoln, Magnum

Post by preacherman »

Ray,

Thanks for posting that information. I need a little work done on that DE Cobra 29 I just installed. The receive side I don't care for so I think that schottky diode might be what I need. I've got my Astatic 636L hooked up to it right now and that definitely cleaned up my audio. I might order me a RK56 just so that I'll have one of each. <I seem to remember a post in the past someone said that preferred one mic on an export radio, and the other on a CB radio such as a Cobra or Uniden.>
Hi Shaft...
I just did a 29 tonight with a mosfet and a tuneup and it picked up 15 watts pep over the stock final.
There's no point in getting into the numbers involved because it will start another "a 29 won't do that"
war. If you want to run an amp...the so called super modulation mod is fine...also known as a "swing kit."
If not...that DE with mods and a mosfet will do at least 40 watts and will key about 6-7 watts which is a nice
loud talking radio...not to mention getting out quite a bit better than a 2 watts radio that is swinging to similar
numbers.
YMMV,
preacherman
Audio Man
Donor
Donor

Re: cobra 29LTD Dale Earnhardt

Post by Audio Man »

does this radio have a different mic setup?
i have an astatic echo board im trying to put in for someone and i cant not get it to work,
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

aggie1878 wrote:Hi all I just bought a used cobra 29LTD Dale Earnhardt CB. I only payed $30 for it and I could not test it to see if it worked. So after I bought it, I took it to my CB guy and guess what? That's right it didn't work *&^&* is what I said. He told me it was not major. Thank god. He said that the power cable might have been reversed once. So he fixed that for free. Sweet. I had it peaked and tuned to 24 watts and aligned and talk back put on. The $65 for the mods and $4 for the power cable fro a grand total of $99 Not too bad I think. So now here are my questions...

What other mods can be done to my 29?
What amp can I or should I run?
What antenna should I run?
What would be a good mic for it? my 29 has a Diesel 4-3 that my CB guy did some work too, to make it a little better.
What external speaker should I use?

Think that it. If I missed anything let me know

Thanks for your time and reading.
Aggie
Hi Aggie,

Any mod that can be done to the Taiwan or Philippine Cobra 29 LTD can be done to the Dale Earnhardt.

Here is a link to the history of the Cobra 28 GTL and LTD.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxro ... 11093.html

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
Audio Man
Donor
Donor

Post by Audio Man »

CbDoctor,

your site makes for some interesting reading, good job!
I enjoyed the material.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi Audio Man

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my site; it is a work in progress. I have been trying to work on it daily and fill in some more info as I go along. It takes time to fact check the work. I have about another 50 radios to go that I have photos to add, then I go back and add a description later. It seems it will never get completed, but I promised my buddy Joe who has had a stroke a year ago that I will finish it even if it takes me the rest of my life.

Again, Thank you

Rick
Respectfully as always,

Rick