Want to add talkback to my 520xl

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
blake
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Want to add talkback to my 520xl

Post by blake »

What's the best way to add talkback to my Uniden Pro 520XL? I know it's a small radio so there's not alot of room inside the chassis.
rayray1963

Re: Want to add talkback to my 520xl

Post by rayray1963 »

By adding a 100ohm resistor across the solder post of the external speaker and PA speaker.

Ray
blake
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by blake »

Thanks Ray i'll grab one from the Rat Shack..
blake
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by blake »

Does it matter which way the bands are facing?
blake
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by blake »

Post by 127 »

blake wrote:What's the best way to add talkback to my Uniden Pro 520XL? I know it's a small radio so there's not alot of room inside the chassis.

Unless you have an echo mic or board installed, talkback is pointless.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi blake

You can also put the resistor from the Mic ground Pin 1 to the receive Pin 4. Talk back is not useless. It can add presence to the audio by making the radio sound like it is in a big room. You want it to be loud enough to hear but not too loud to cause audio feedback. The lower the resistor value the louder the talk back.

Good luck,
Respectfully as always,

Rick

Post by 127 »

TheCBDoctor wrote:Hi blake

Talk back is not useless. It can add presence to the audio by making the radio sound like it is in a big room.

Good luck,

Whatever you say :icon_e_surprised:
rayray1963

Post by rayray1963 »

blake wrote:Does it matter which way the bands are facing?

I always put the Gold band toward the PA side, just me though. And as CBDoctor stated it can be done at the Mic plug too. I would suggest you encase it in a small peices of shrink tube to help in avoiding it touching any other components. Would hate to see it touch something else and short out.

And to Mr.127, I am not sure why you think it necessary to always be smart with people. The man came here to ask an honest question and was given answers. You come back and try and to belittle those answers. What gives? If someone asking a question and someone answering them bothers you so much why waste your time in responding? I thought this place was for questions and answers, sharing ideas and in general disusing radios.

Ray
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi rayray1963

I can understand 127. Sometimes I write something, and then realize that I am being too serious. I usually catch myself and delete it before posting it. Sometime I post it and wish I hadn't. 127 doesn't catch it before he presses submit he just submits. I would not say that is a character flaw, others might.

Talk back in a confined area does make your radio sound like it is in a big room, whether 127 believes it or not. Before I used a 2510 I always used talk back because it gave me confidence and prevented me from feeling like I had to yell in the Microphone. I don't use it on a 2510 because of the sideband. After 22 years on CB, Ham, police radios and everything in between I would say that I have gain confidence :icon_e_smile:

I don't need to tear others down to feel better about myself. I may not agree with others but I will defend their right to say it, even if they are mistaken. I like talk-back to be loud enough to not feedback but not so weak that there is no point in having it. It makes a difference it's called acoustics.

You may notice that I never use the quote option on others. That is because my words are strong enough to stand by themselves. After the "Doc" incident I make it a point not to get into a sword fight. I apologized in public and in private. Not because of what is said but what should not be said. You are right the forum is for the free exchange of ideas and to have some fun. My posts speak for themselves, just as 127's posts speaks for him. His exchanges are brief. His few words say a lot about him.

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick

Post by 127 »

If being realisitc and truthful is tearing down others consider me guilty.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi 127

What is truth? We both have truths is mine the same as yours? There are two sides to every story but only one truth. It is not the truth you speak it is in the manner that you speak it. You don't want talk back, then don't put it in your radio. I never sold a driver on adding talk back. The driver asks for my experience and I give it to him.

He decides if he wants to spend the $10 to have me bench his radio and as a courtesy I put in a talk back on a switch. He then chooses to turn it on or off. Guess what, every driver comes back and tells me they leave the talk back on and I did not need to put it on a switch. They do so because other drivers tell him he sounds better with the talk back on.

After 22 years and thousands of 18 wheelers later I get the same results. I guess they all must be wrong and you are right. What is your experience and expertise? How many years have you had to collect data and make a decision of what is right or wrong? If I did not think it added to a radio's performance I would not do it. I get the $10 to bench the radio anyway. It is only more work for me.

I think what Rayray was saying is that you are rude. Not that you are incorrect. Maybe, just maybe talk-back does not add to the radio's performance. I may be wrong, I doubt it. I have probably forgotten more about electronics then you will ever know maybe not. Maybe you are the best. Either way it isn't what you say it is in the manner in which you say it.

I agree with rayray on this point. The forum is for the entertainment and education of those that need assistance. It is for the free exchange of ideas and information. Out of this forum comes a general consensus that allows the free choice of others to decide and experiment with their own equipment. That is what America is all about, the free flow of information and the ability and the right of the individual to make their own choices.

It is un-American to deny someone the right to speak and it is rude to speak uncivilly. Your few words speak volumes about you. I have met many people, such as yourself, in my lifetime. There is an old saying "one can gather more flies with a teaspoon of sugar than one can with a gallon of vinegar" It is obvious you have never been in sales. If you have been you must have gone hungry quite often.

I am not going to get into a sword fight with you, but I will politely give you a verbal spanking when I feel the need. Normally I would have just let your rude attitude go unanswered, but rayray had picked up on your attitude so I felt compelled to answer in my own words.

The bottom line: Acoustics matter in any environment and Talk Back makes a difference. A radio with a nice clear loud talk back without feed back makes a radio sound like it is in a bigger room. That is my professional opinion. You are entitle to your opinion, I humbly suggest that you make that opinion stronger by addressing others in such a manner that commands respect by its appropriateness.

Respectfully,

Rick, The CB Doctor. Restoring radio history one CB at a time for over 20 years.
Respectfully as always,

Rick
rayray1963

Post by rayray1963 »

TheCBDoctor wrote:Hi 127

What is truth? We both have truths is mine the same as yours? There are two sides to every story but only one truth. It is not the truth you speak it is in the manner that you speak it. You don't want talk back, then don't put it in your radio. I never sold a driver on adding talk back. The driver asks for my experience and I give it to him.

He decides if he wants to spend the $10 to have me bench his radio and as a courtesy I put in a talk back on a switch. He then chooses to turn it on or off. Guess what, every driver comes back and tells me they leave the talk back on and I did not need to put it on a switch. They do so because other drivers tell him he sounds better with the talk back on.

After 22 years and thousands of 18 wheelers later I get the same results. I guess they all must be wrong and you are right. What is your experience and expertise? How many years have you had to collect data and make a decision of what is right or wrong? If I did not think it added to a radio's performance I would not do it. I get the $10 to bench the radio anyway. It is only more work for me.

I think what Rayray was saying is that you are rude. Not that you are incorrect. Maybe, just maybe talk-back does not add to the radio's performance. I may be wrong, I doubt it. I have probably forgotten more about electronics then you will ever know maybe not. Maybe you are the best. Either way it isn't what you say it is in the manner in which you say it.

I agree with rayray on this point. The forum is for the entertainment and education of those that need assistance. It is for the free exchange of ideas and information. Out of this forum comes a general consensus that allows the free choice of others to decide and experiment with their own equipment. That is what America is all about, the free flow of information and the ability and the right of the individual to make their own choices.

It is un-American to deny someone the right to speak and it is rude to speak uncivilly. Your few words speak volumes about you. I have met many people, such as yourself, in my lifetime. There is an old saying "one can gather more flies with a teaspoon of sugar than one can with a gallon of vinegar" It is obvious you have never been in sales. If you have been you must have gone hungry quite often.

I am not going to get into a sword fight with you, but I will politely give you a verbal spanking when I feel the need. Normally I would have just let your rude attitude go unanswered, but rayray had picked up on your attitude so I felt compelled to answer in my own words.

The bottom line: Acoustics matter in any environment and Talk Back makes a difference. A radio with a nice clear loud talk back without feed back makes a radio sound like it is in a bigger room. That is my professional opinion. You are entitle to your opinion, I humbly suggest that you make that opinion stronger by addressing others in such a manner that commands respect by its appropriateness.

Respectfully,

Rick, The CB Doctor. Restoring radio history one CB at a time for over 20 years.
AMEN!
Ruebarb
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by Ruebarb »

If you add talkback to the 520, or any CB, (I have the 520), using the resistor mod across the External speaker & PA jacks.

What is the effect upon the jacks? I plan on using external speakers and using the PA.

Thanks in advance for any constructive feed back.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

It won't have any effect on them just make sure one end of the resistor goes to the ground lug of the pa jack and other end of the resistor goes to the ground lug of the speaker jack.
Ruebarb
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by Ruebarb »

Night Crawler, Thank you for the info

I see that the typical resistor used is a 100 ohm 1w.

I'd like to use a 150 ohm, which only come in 1/2w.

Does anyone know the typical amount of voltage going across the 2 ground lugs?

Yes, I could just use a multi meter and check this, but I don't have an in 12vdc test bench. It is a pita to work on the CB in my truck.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

The value of the resistance determines the audio level of the TB the higher the resistance the lower it will be a 1/2 watt resistor will work fine and there isn't any voltage going across the ground lugs.
Ruebarb
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by Ruebarb »

Thanks, I'll just assume that none on the ground points is negative mv. That resistor would only handle +/-8.6v before it get's toasted.

I'm using a 150 as I only want a minimal amount of TB, enough that I know I have the band at that moment, when talking in groups you never know. Plus with an amplified mic and amplified external speakers, I don't want feed back.

Thanks for the help