Uniden 76 talkback - rf gain knob

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
clip
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Uniden 76 talkback - rf gain knob

Post by clip »

Another quick question:

On the pc76, I've read that its possible to solder a 100-500 ohm, 1 watt resistor between the PA and EXT terminals to get talkback, or a 1K ohm, .75 watt pot to make it adjustable. I'm thinking of going this route, but did read where quite a few people cut the RF Gain knob leads and soldered them together, then using the RF knob to control talkback volume.

Can anyone confirm that soldering the RF gain wires together makes max RF gain? I've been driving around with the RF gain on max already and controlling/quieting the signal and static with Squelch, but this afternoon experimented with turning the RF gain down until the needle reached 0 on the radio's display. Then I could turn the Squelch down more without getting static. Should I already be using it this way?

Will the RF gain down reduce signal strength? Am I going to lose any important adjustments when I use it as a talkback volume knob?
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Uniden 76 talkback - rf gain knob

Post by Night Crawler »

clip wrote: Can anyone confirm that soldering the RF gain wires together makes max RF gain?
Will the RF gain down reduce signal strength?
Yes to both questions.
clip wrote: On the pc76, I've read that its possible to solder a 100-500 ohm, 1 watt resistor between the PA and EXT terminals to get talkback, or a 1K ohm, .75 watt pot to make it adjustable. I'm thinking of going this route, but did read where quite a few people cut the RF Gain knob leads and soldered them together, then using the RF knob to control talkback volume.
The only problem with using the RF gain control pot is that if the value is more then 1k it will be very touchy for example if it's a 5k or 10k pot by turning it a 1/4 of an inch it will go from where you can hardly hear it to where you start getting squeal and feedback.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi clip

Adjusting the RF gain down reduces your receiver's sensitivity. I would remove the RF gain and solder the wires together that go to it. I believe there are only 2 wires on most RF gain controls. Replace the potentiometer with a 1k ohm resistor and put a 33 ohm resistor in series with the 1k Ohm Pot. You may go to pins 1 and 4 on the Mic jack to get talk back. It is easier than running wires all the way to the speaker jack.

If it is a Uniden 76 the Mic jack is mounted on the side and easy to get to.

Respectfully,

Rick
Respectfully as always,

Rick
clip
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by clip »

TheCBDoctor wrote:Hi clip

Adjusting the RF gain down reduces your receiver's sensitivity. I would remove the RF gain and solder the wires together that go to it. I believe there are only 2 wires on most RF gain controls. Replace the potentiometer with a 1k ohm resistor and put a 33 ohm resistor in series with the 1k Ohm Pot. You may go to pins 1 and 4 on the Mic jack to get talk back. It is easier than running wires all the way to the speaker jack.

If it is a Uniden 76 the Mic jack is mounted on the side and easy to get to.

Respectfully,

Rick

Rick, appreciate the reply but I'm a little unclear. Will your instructions use the RF gain knob to control talk back volume? You say to replace a potentiometer with the 1k ohm resistor, but then wire a 33 ohm resistor in series with the 1k ohm pot. Does this use a 33 ohm resistor, a 1k ohm potentiometer and the RF gain in series (right side?).
clip
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by clip »

Can anybody clarify this for me?
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

The rf gain potentiometer is removed and replaced with a 1k pot with a 33 ohm resistor in series with it the drawing on the left would be the way to do it.