TRC-431 DeadKey Adjustment

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
radiopirate
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

TRC-431 DeadKey Adjustment

Post by radiopirate »

I just thought I'd throw this out to the group... and maybe i'll get lucky...

I've got an old "backup" TRC-431 that I would like to add a small stinger board to. Current DK is right around 4w.

Does anyone happen to know a simple way to adjust the deadkey down to about 2w? Do I even need to worry about it since the DK is already so low?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: TRC-431 DeadKey Adjustment

Post by Sheriff Bart »

L910 according to cb tricks

3's
The world is a cold free toilet
radiopirate
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by radiopirate »

Ah...Roger That, Sherrif. I see it now. Looking at the schematic (I'm not home right now) it looks like L910 is a vcap and I can easily adjust it. I hope so!
radiopirate
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by radiopirate »

So, then... if i do decide to add the stinger, is this adjustment something that I absolutley must be concerned with, or should the board be ok with the stock 3-4 watts coming in?
sparky17
Donor
Donor

Post by sparky17 »

I cringe giving 3-4 watts to a 2x1446... Don't you dare do that to a stinger board unless you want to replace the "RM3s"

IRF520's will work if you blow them out tho, so.. I guess it's < $10 and your time, which isn't THAT much risk..

The KL203 is the same thing, but in a box. I had one of those blow within a month of using radios that were 3-4w deadkey... Coincidence? Maybe.. If you're comfortable soldering then I'd say go for it... It'll do it for a while
radiopirate
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by radiopirate »

Well... I'm not too keen on having to do any repairs unless it is necessary. I'd rather devote the little free time I get to doing fun stuff like upgrades and tweaks; but if I have to, I can probably handle the transistor repalcement. You say IRF520's will work as substitutes...are they any better than the originals, or just maybe easier to get?

Thanks!
sparky17
Donor
Donor

Post by sparky17 »

They're the same.. RM3s might be cherry picked however.

Actually, I was thinking it terms of the KL203 which is a heatsink.. If this thing is going to be inside your radio it's going to get incredibly hot incredibly quick. You could probably only get away with 5 seconds of keydown per minute..
radiopirate
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by radiopirate »

Yeah, I agree. I've actually added some small holes to the radio case right in area where the board will mount. I plan to add a small 12vdc fan at the new holes. I will also shield around the entire board with some old foil-on-one-side A/C duct tape (leaving plenty of room for air flow!). I've found that that old foil tape is great stuff for shielding - as long as you are careful about where you put it and what it may touch when it's there!

Thanks!
dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: none
Antenna: Will1000
Radio: Omegaforce S45HP

Post by dime196604 »

I am very interested i have that same radio what are these stinger boards? i know they are like small amps but do you find them? are they universal do they hook up to any radio? and how hard i the install?
It ain't broke till you smell the smoke
dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by dime196604 »

Sheriff Bart wrote:L910 according to cb tricks

3's
sheriff bart if you adjust the L910 would it throw you radio off frequency at all? what i mean is could you adjust it with a watt meter and have every thing be ok?
radiopirate
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by radiopirate »

dime: You can find the boards online very easily. I don't want chance violating Forum rules by posting here the name of the particular supplier that I regularly use; but, just do a quick Google. If you still have trouble, shoot me an IM or email and I'll help you out.
dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by dime196604 »

radiopirate wrote:dime: You can find the boards online very easily. I don't want chance violating Forum rules by posting here the name of the particular supplier that I regularly use; but, just do a quick Google. If you still have trouble, shoot me an IM or email and I'll help you out.
Oh i have found lots of them on the net since i posted that. i like what i see so far they push good watts for their size and you can find lots of them for 40 bucks and under
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Sheriff Bart »

dime196604 wrote:
Sheriff Bart wrote:L910 according to cb tricks

3's
sheriff bart if you adjust the L910 would it throw you radio off frequency at all? what i mean is could you adjust it with a watt meter and have every thing be ok?
yes, according to the block diagram L910 will only adjust the deadkey.
here's the link http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... /index.htm
and at the bottom of the page you'll see "adjustments"

3's
The world is a cold free toilet
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

dime196604 wrote: if you adjust the L910 would it throw you radio off frequency at all?
L910 can be adjusted to lower the output but by doing so it will detune the final amplifier from resonance not a really good thing to do.
dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by dime196604 »

Night Crawler wrote:
dime196604 wrote: if you adjust the L910 would it throw you radio off frequency at all?
L910 can be adjusted to lower the output but by doing so it will detune the final amplifier from resonance not a really good thing to do.
So what would be a good safe way to get the DK down on these radios? I justed picked up a very old 1x4 that works and i don't wanna fry it in a week of using it. :icon_e_sad:
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

dime196604 wrote: So what would be a good safe way to get the DK down on these radios?
Remove R921 a 8.2 ohm resistor (gray red gold) and replace it with a higher value.
Optional (put a cap across it if you want the swing)