No Soldering Glue

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
Geauxjoe
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Radio: Cobra 148/Cobra 29lx

No Soldering Glue

Post by Geauxjoe »

I was needing to replace my meter in my radio and I need to get a soldering gun to make the repair but while shopping I saw no soldering glue. My question is this no soldering glue just as good as soldering with heat? Thanks for any advise a newbie to this forum been talking on CB'S since 1992 when I became a professional truck driver.
Deleted User 14541

Re: No Soldering Glue

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

This is the first I've heard of this but I Googled it and found some. I can't imagine it being as good as soldering and wouldn't feel comfortable using it inside a radio. I think it would be the same as using JB Weld to hold 2 pieces of steel together. It will stick but not be as good as a real weld. JMO
sparky17
Donor
Donor

Post by sparky17 »

Is soldering glue as good as solder? No. The resistance is undoubtedly higher.

Will it be good enough for this lower current application? Probably. Even if it did negatively affect it, I'm sure the adjustment points in the radio could compensate.

The 5 piece soldering kit at Radioshack is on sale for $6.50. I'd buy that.

It would be a bad idea to use a soldering gun on a meter, it would be like using a campfire to light a cigarette. The soldering kit is a 30w soldering iron, which is still towards the 'high end' of power, but won't decimate stuff as quick as a soldering gun. 30w is good for general soldering work anyways, since CBers don't do too much surface mount work..
sparky17
Donor
Donor

Post by sparky17 »

A guy measured 90 ohms resistance with a 1/4" wide, 1/16" tall x 1" long 'path' he made with wire glue..

I'm not sure how the circuit is actually implemented for the meter, but I made some assumptions.

~10v powering it.
1mA meter

This equated to something like 10,000 ohms resistance. Adding a few extra ohms of resistance to that wouldn't hurt anything..
Geauxjoe
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Geauxjoe »

Thanks for the information and the radio shack kit sounds like a plan. I will head out tomorrow to the shack and pick one up. Thanks again i will post on the final repair and how I did with my first soldering job. Thanks again
Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by Bombero »

Geauxjoe wrote:Thanks for the information and the radio shack kit sounds like a plan. I will head out tomorrow to the shack and pick one up. Thanks again i will post on the final repair and how I did with my first soldering job. Thanks again

Hey..

WE ALL TOOK A VOTE AND WE WANNA SEE PICS OF THAT FIRST SOLDER JOB !

:lol:
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

Geauxjoe
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Geauxjoe »

Ok as soon as I get it done I will take pics and post them on this post. So keep monitoring this post so when I post them you will see them. Thanks for all the confidence in this task that I am about to pertake in. Thanks for all the advice have a great weekend :cheers:
Remo
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Remo »

lol, this just sounds like a BAD idea waiting to happen.... i will stay tuned to see what unfolds
DanTaylor
Donor
Donor
Radio: Galaxy 959

Post by DanTaylor »

Remo wrote:lol, this just sounds like a BAD idea waiting to happen.... i will stay tuned to see what unfolds
Everyone stated somewhere....I bet he does just fine.

Oh and welcome to CBRT Geauxjoe
WORK TRUCK Galaxy 959 peaked and tweaked with echo
PLAY TRUCK Cobra 29 NWST peaked and tweaked
BASE Uniden Washington with a swing kit and a D-104
Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by Bombero »

Remo wrote:lol, this just sounds like a BAD idea waiting to happen.... i will stay tuned to see what unfolds

Ok Remo...lets see your first solder job ...

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

Once upon a time, there used to be some stuff called 'Liquid Solder'. It was basically the old kind of 'airplane' glue with metal filings in it (smelled like airplane glue, was conductive, no idea what the 'metal' filings were). Also about that time I had just become licensed and wanted to build a 'DX-60' transmitter. Unfortunately, a 'wood burning' experience didn't turn out so well and my parents were not happy with the thought of me with a soldering iron/gun. So... yep, used that 'Liquid Solder'. One thing about that old 'dead bug' wiring, it had to be a good mechanical connection as well as a good electrical connection. Probably wouldn't have hurt not to solder things except for particular instances, sort of. The 'DX-60' worked after the normal de-bugging.
Years later, sold the 'DX-60' to a friend, it had developed a bad part, and he took it to someone to get it fixed. No idea what that 'liquid solder' smelled like when you tried to un-solder it, but I'll bet it was nasty. I got a call from the one doing the fixing, and a cussing to go along with it. Wanted to know what the @#$$ I'd used to put it together. I got another cussing when I told him.

So... What does all that mean? It means that 'gluing' some electrical thingy together is possible, but it is NOT recommended at all! No, that isn't a tall-tale, it's the truth. I'd give you the names of the friend and the 'fixer', but they are both gone now, no point. Am I 'proud' of doing it that way? Not particularly, too embarrassing, but I make a good 'bad' example at times. ;)
- 'Doc

(ask about the matching VFO I built and never trimmed any of the legs on the components. You could use it as an earthquake detector!)
Remo
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Remo »

Bombero wrote:

Ok Remo...lets see your first solder job ...

ok... i will show you... and will most certainly NOT be with a "non soldering glue" !!

come one, are you serious ?
Remo
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Remo »

DanTaylor wrote:
Everyone stated somewhere....I bet he does just fine.

Oh and welcome to CBRT Geauxjoe

youre right, i bet he does fine...

i wanna see pics !
Geauxjoe
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Geauxjoe »

Yes I will take a before pic and a after pic. I am just waiting for the new meter and the radio shack soldering kit to arrive. I ordered both off the web so it will probably be next friday when I will get around to my first soldering task. So please you shouldnt pick on me before the job is done due to it will likely make me for sure mess up , and since I do have some of you confident that I will do just fine to not dissapoint. So thanks again for all your inputs. Hey I also purchased and diy cb mods cd and was wanting to know if I wanted to peak and tune this radio also is there a special meter I will need too to measure the swr/power/modulation levels? thanks again geauxjoe
DanTaylor
Donor
Donor

Post by DanTaylor »

Geauxjoe wrote:Hey I also purchased and diy cb mods cd and was wanting to know if I wanted to peak and tune this radio also is there a special meter I will need too to measure the swr/power/modulation levels? thanks again geauxjoe
Well there are some things you can do on your own, but for a true tune up a tech with a oscilloscope and proper knowledge will always trump all. But to do some minor mods like your modulation and dead key adjustments you can buy a meter like this. Good luck with the solder job upcoming, hope my info helps.

http://www.abetterwaytobuy.ne ... -watt.aspx
Geauxjoe
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Geauxjoe »

Well I know it has been a few weeks but I was not able to take on this job until today. So here are the pics. Thanks for all the help with me succeeding in this project!!!!! This is the best forum!!!!!! I even went one step further and added a basic talk back to my radio also.
I have tried to upload my pics with no success. Sorry
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

Can you 'tune' anything without the proper equipment? Not really, no. You can certainly change things, you might even get 'close', but don't expect anything good from 'shade-treeing' things. If things are so bad that -anything- would be an improvement then you don't really have much to loose. Do it right or leave it to someone who can.
- 'Doc
DanTaylor
Donor
Donor

Post by DanTaylor »

Geauxjoe wrote:I have tried to upload my pics with no success. Sorry
upload them to a photobucket account(its free to join) then you can link them back here
sparky17
Donor
Donor

Post by sparky17 »

http://imgur.com

no login..

C'mon with the pics :D