Tuning Realistic TRC-427?

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
Curny
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Tuning Realistic TRC-427?

Post by Curny »

Hi all, go easy on me, this is my first post on here!

I've got three Realistic TRC-427 radios. I've seen that these rigs can be tuned to swing around twenty watts.
Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to tune up to do this?

Thanks guys

Curny
163-TM-336
South Wales, UK.
Nagant
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: M104C, V-Quad
Radio: To Many To List

Re: Tuning Realistic TRC-427?

Post by Nagant »

Welcome to the forum.

The TRC-427 is basically the same as the Cobra 25LTD. Good little radios and I actually prefer them over the Cobra.

Video showing how to turn up the modulation.

Realistic TRC427: VR5-AMC
TX Tune-up: L20, L16, L15, L12

You need at least a good inline watt meter to do this. You're not going to get the radio perfect with just a watt meter but it's the best most individual hobbyist can do.

As stated in the video turn up VR5 for 100% modulation. If the radio is not balanced correctly, different carrier and forward modulated power on channels 1 and 40, then adjust the L cans listed above to even it out. Usually starting on channel 20 and then fine tuning on 1 and 40 works best.

I did not list how to defeat the modulation clipper because it's not needed or wise to do.

Curny
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by Curny »

Thanks for that Paul, I'll give it a go

I really like these radios since I made three copies into the USA with one of them (I'm in UK)!

I've collected a few AM sets in the last few months - my favourite is a mint condition, boxed Pearce Simpson Tiger 40A. A real nice radio!

Curny
Nagant
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: M104C, V-Quad
Radio: To Many To List

Post by Nagant »

No problem Ian. Glad to try and help.

The Tiger 40A is another nice performing vintage radio. It has the good old 02A PLL.

Like you I have a number of vintage AM rigs. I talk on all of my vintage radios as well.