Question on tuning Realistic TRC-427 (yes, read old thread)

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
Dollar Brand
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Question on tuning Realistic TRC-427 (yes, read old thread)

Post by Dollar Brand »

Thanks to fellow CBRT member 928-Montana I was referred to a thread from 2008 (I can't post a link to it since I'm too new.) However, after reading it I still had a couple of questions:

On my TRC-427 I adjusted VR5 to maximum and * oh so very carefully * removed the wax covering on L12 (the one in front of the final) and L15 since I was there anyway. I left L15 untouched, but for L12 I turned the adjustment screw CCW a few turns but no more since I was afraid the adjustment might fall out. Is there a rule of thumb one can use for "ballpark" adjusting L12 if you don't have a meter, such as "you turn L12 adjustment CW until it gently seats, then turn it back CCW x # of turns"? I take it L12 is adjusting the dead key?

My shopping list includes picking up a Wilson 1000 mag mount versus the current Lil Wil mounted in my pickup. I read in another thread where a watt meter is helpful for a novice to do a tune (albeit a crude one), and being a Jedi Padawan when it comes to electronics I could probably tackle it. What meter should I get, and where might I secure one? All I have in my tool stash is a decent Electrode Hut aka Radio Shack SWR meter.

Sorry for the elementary questions, but I guess what I'm seeking is a "Tweaking Directions for Dummies" on this 427. Thanks in advance for any help! :basketball:
Sheriff Bart
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Question on tuning Realistic TRC-427 (yes, read old thre

Post by Sheriff Bart »

when you do that kind of adjustment the very least you should have at your disposal is a dummy load and a good swr/power meter, one that measures % of modulation is a plus too. How can you be sure which way to turn the VR's and L's without a meter ? That 427 is a good radio too. I see them on eBay lots. Around here they're called Radio Shack Trams because of the good audio.

3's
The world is a cold free toilet
Dollar Brand
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by Dollar Brand »

After reading some more I went to Sparky's website and tracked down the meter section. I haven't played with CBs in 30 years so I am relearning this stuff...
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

Sheriff Bart wrote:when you do that kind of adjustment the very least you should have at your disposal is a dummy load and a good swr/power meter, one that measures % of modulation is a plus too. How can you be sure which way to turn the VR's and L's without a meter ?
Take that advise I would get at least a wattmeter before you turn anything else tuning the transmitters output without any kind of metering is like driving a car blindfolded.