Adjusting my deadkey on cobra 29ltd

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
coleman
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: A-99
Radio: connex 3300hp

Adjusting my deadkey on cobra 29ltd

Post by coleman »

WAnting to know what to adjust in my cobra 29 ltd to get the deadkey down to run with my linear? Hopefully it is simple enough for me to handle without paying for a trip to nashville to a cb shop
Cobra 2000gtl
Galaxy 2547
Connex 3300HP-ZX
"Tooter/ 715
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Re: Adjusting my deadkey on cobra 29ltd

Post by TheCBDoctor »

coleman wrote:WAnting to know what to adjust in my cobra 29 ltd to get the deadkey down to run with my linear? Hopefully it is simple enough for me to handle without paying for a trip to nashville to a cb shop

L-14 in front of the Final adjusts your overall power. It will lower the carrier as well as your peak power. Adjusting VR-4 will bring your modulation back up to 100%.

If you want to do what most operator do, then cut D-11 and adjust L-14 for maximum. Remove the jumper going to the final that supplies the Final's voltage. Put in the proper resistor along with a capacitor in parallel. The result is 2 watts dead key and a peak of about 24 watts. This is not legal but that is what most shops will do. They call it a swing kit.

This is done when used with amps, which is also "unauthorized"

I don't condone the practice I am just mentioning what is commonplace. What do you need to lower the dead-key for?

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
coleman
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by coleman »

Thx cbdoctor, wanting the deadkey lower to around 1.5 to 2 watts for my linear.
Cobra 2000gtl
Galaxy 2547
Connex 3300HP-ZX
"Tooter/ 715
coleman
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by coleman »

my linear works best at a low dead key, now its around a 5
Cobra 2000gtl
Galaxy 2547
Connex 3300HP-ZX
"Tooter/ 715
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

coleman wrote:my linear works best at a low dead key, now its around a 5

That sounds about right. Most operators will lower their carrier and let the radio swing to the max. I don't recommend cutting D-11. Adjusting VR-4 is a better option. Using a 220 ohm resistor in parallel with a 100 ufd cap in place of the jumper will work. You may have to play around with the resistor value until you get the carrier where you want it.

I have seen radios use up to 1,000 ufd caps, which are too high in value in my humble opinion. Playing with different value caps and resistors will give you the desired output. Again, I don't condone amps and modifications but I understand why it is done.

It is best to PM me for the particular procedure. If you are going to do it I prefer you not splattering all over the radio spectrum. :icon_e_smile:

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick