linux Mint

Need some help fixing a computer problem, or just want to share a link to a program? Do it hear... From the PC to the CB!!!
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: MysteryMan
Antenna: SIGMA 4
Radio: YAESU FT-857 / A 1972 Cobra 148 GTL

linux Mint

Post by MysteryMan »

I need some help, so my plea goes out the the Linux Guru's in the group.

I need to build a home file server and I chose to use Linux Mint with Saba.

I run the install it finishes but I have no idea what to do when it's done. I go to do the first re-boot and it's not installed.

I am completely lost with this.

Can some give me hand?

Thanks
I am, the Original Mystery Man from 1969 from Irvine California until May 1983. I joined the US ARMY 82nd ABN. Then became a Ham in 1987.
TheTeZ

Re: linux Mint

Post by TheTeZ »

Good choice on OS, its what i use. But PCLinuxOS has an awesome set up for that... check it out. dl the iso, it will walk you through the set up including making everything mac and windows compatible as well.

I recommend checking that out. Its the easiest way.
ill get back to you with help on this at a later date... maybe tomorrow.... (in the morning, im off to bed)
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Thanks!

The reason I chose Mint because it seamed like the easiest Linux GUI to use for my needs since I don't have any clue about the language to use or the definitions of Linux. However I am up for trying something else. I don't have windows installed on that CPU so it's OS Free.

I have downloaded PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Final Released. I did a quick read of installing and writing the ISO. It seams its recommended to use KB3 to write the ISO to the a CD-R or a DVD-R. Can I use Alcohol 120% instead?

What would be nice is a GUI Linux OS install for Dummies. You just answers the question by clicking and choose the options you want then done. Re-Boot and it all works.

Oh, this CPU does not have a network connection. It's only a wireless File server. Will this cause and issue with the install?

Thanks !
I am, the Original Mystery Man from 1969 from Irvine California until May 1983. I joined the US ARMY 82nd ABN. Then became a Ham in 1987.
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

you can use anything that will burn an iso, alcohol 120 will work, nero will work, cheetah burner will work, anything really....
What would be nice is a GUI Linux OS install for Dummies. You just answers the question by clicking and choose the options you want then done. Re-Boot and it all works.
This pretty much is... or at least as close as your gonna get.t

The lack of a network wont cause a problem
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Well then, your making and old man happy... lol

Are you married? If yes then tell her I said to give you a kiss for me... if not then your out of luck you only get my thanks... lololo

Ill let you know how it goes. It might be a few days until I get to it, depends how my work is going on the Jeep.

Oh, any thing I should be aware of while installing?
wolfmanjack
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by wolfmanjack »

May I recommend Ubuntu Server? It's very nice, I don't mind Linux Mint either it is also nice. We installed a lot of flavors of linux based servers in my Server+ class.
I just didn't have any problems with Ubuntu, maybe I just got lucky. It seems like almost everything else would seem to throw up road blocks, which most were easy to fix but some were a pain in the butt.

Also, are you sure when you're installing it that you're choosing the right partition? If you're doing it manually it can get confusing with creating the EXT3 and SWAP partitions.
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

Hey Wolfman, ive got nothing against ubuntu, but for what hes trying to do it has the server stuff built in and is VERY easy to follow.... the kids on the windows commercials "im 5 years old and im a pc" is as simple as setting it up in PCLinuxOS, ive messed with ubuntu different types of slackwre, and most bigger name linux's as well as smaller ones like .. well dsl, wolvix, and a few others, but PCLinuxOS i think will be the best for what hes trying to do.

And mystery man, i guess i just get your thanks, not married just yet... but its been 5 years with the same girl... the time is coming...
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Wolfman,

Before I went overseas Ubuntu Server was my first choice. However, it did give me problems. Burning the ISO became a problem and then I finally used Alcohol 120 and that solved that issue. Then while installing, nothing but issues and it wanted answers I could not give it or new the language for. I always thought I might have done something wrong but Oh-Well...

Thank you for the advice, Ill take everything I can get.
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

TheTeZ wrote:

And mystery man, i guess i just get your thanks, not married just yet... but its been 5 years with the same girl... the time is coming...
Oh, the dreaded 5 year not sure bug? Yeah, you need to move on that, she will walk away soon. That is such a common occurrence.

Good Luck with that...

Ok, question time again.

How much HD space will I need for Linux?
Will it work as a print server also? I guess its Samba.
wolfmanjack
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by wolfmanjack »

Yeah, I think it's just inevitable sometimes. Problems will occur for different Linux flavs, with different people, and with different computers. It's just the way it is. Oh well, I still find it better than Windows!

Wish you the best of luck.
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Yes, I will agree with you. The other thing is it's not just the flavors of what ever coding it might be or machine. This relates to many other things in the world. I have 15 guys I am training currently and each of them cant use the others equipment very well or at all, but each are highly trained and experts with that piece of equipment. It's just a matter of finding that right match for all the pieces to work as one.

As for Windows, It Sucks and I am going to go to all open source stuff this year.

Thanks again.
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

When installing PCLinuxOS it will recommend a size to you... it doesn't NEED! much. it can easily be installed on a 6 gig hard drive... but i would try to go no lower than 15 gigs, just to give it room to grow. i think i have it on a 11 gig on my laptop but on this here computer,it has much larger.

Great open source software i use
The Gimp- (like adobe photo shop) great graphics editor/creator
GAIM- Global instant messenger
Firefox-Minefield(x64) im sure you know, but a great web browser
Thunderbird-shredder(x64) - a mail client like outlook, but just for email
Open Office, i enjoy it.... some do some dont, just change it to save as standard win 97 / xp .doc format in the prefrences and your good to go, also does everything else microsoft office does.
VLC Player- a media player with all the codacs you will need..
SongBird - A Great media player, which defaults to look like Itunes, but is customizable, and much less bloated, works better/faster, and even works with the ipod... if youve got one. customizable, great add-ons, and skins

i dunno most of what i use is open source, because... well its free, and is often better than commercial products because the people using it are the people who made it.
wolfmanjack
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by wolfmanjack »

Couldn't have said it any better! Great software.
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Firefox-Minefield(x64) must be a blast.... Hey, since it's a x64 does that mean it is used for server OS only? Does it also mean you need particular type of hardware?

Thanks for the info on the HD. I need to get a bigger HD. I only have a 40GIG & two 6 GIG's. The files I need to put on it are about 34GIG and that is going to go up shortly.

Thanks
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

Man hard drives are real cheap now a days, if you dont mind spending a hundred bucks, maybe 120 get a terabyte hard drive....

64 bit software can be used on any 64x operating system. most flavors of linux will come with the software i named from install... you may have to get gimp, and youll probably get amerok over songbird, which is also a great program.

that lisst of software i named was the stuff i run on my windows operating systems... They were all originally made for linux...
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Ok, it's just the x64 OS, Great. Yes this is true, HD's are very inexpensive these days.

I will be converting soon I hope and get away from all these open security holes & viruses - all of that! It's not worth the expense. I have 6 PC's & 3 laptops running in the house and now adding the Server, all the Anti everything is ridiculously expensive! I would rather save all the $ for my Rock Crawler or some other toy.
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

well just to put something to rest....

Windows (obviouslly) isnt virus free... Neither is the Mac Operating System, And neither is the Linux Operating system.

Because windows is the general operating system., because its the most widely used operating system, its the one that most "coders" write viruses for. your general house hold has a windows pc, not a mac.

Mac, and linux WERE in the same boat, they neither were used very widley, and you know... just on the down low, it wasnt your ever day users machine, so viruses and junk weren't written for the o.s. as much, But then Mac pulled a huge error ... dont know why they thought this was a good idea... maybe they forgot to knock on wood.... they said "Macs are virus free" or something to that affect.... and that made our friends in their parents basements go "Oh Yeah?" mac osx is no longer andd never again will be virus free... now days with it getting real trendy to own a mac, (as their quality goes down) all your high schoolers and college kids are going to wanna be cool and get the newest mac, so more viruses are only going to come out...

Now linux... its interesting, no one can say their are no viruses.... thats why theirs Anti-virus. as of NOW their arent many out their, their are some, often written for the cooperation that run linux, Generally you wont be doing things where you will catch a virus, and also never log in as root, so nothing will make changes with out you knowing. now a days though you hear more about linux, so obviously with popularity comes the infection.... One thing linux has going for it, a lot of the people who run linux have some sort of hand in helping create it, (well a couple years ago) so they wont right a virus for what they helped create.

Their is no such thing as a virus free O.S.
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Thanks for the update. I heard that a virus was written for a Mac's but only a few and the virus was stopped in it's track's. I also heard something very similar to Linux and it did something silly.

Well, when you hear these things that is all you have to go but of course you should take it lightly, unless you do the research or have someone reliable to hear from. I figured that at some point viruses and so on would catchup to other OS's.

Would it be safe to say that with Linux the possibility of getting a Virus or Trojan is unlikely even if it's a file server?
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Tez,

I put together another system and it has Win ME on it. Should I just boot off the ISO image and do the install or another way?

Also, the wireless adapter I have is a Linksys WUSB54G v1. Were can I find a Linux driver for it? I have not been able to find one. Everything I am reading shows only the v4 will work with a Realtek driver only.

Any suggestions?
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

ha ha, yeah. that wireless adapter is fun to find drivers for. What version of the adapter do you have? (it tells on the bottom under the pull out near the barcode)

Anyway, of course its unlikley, (their arent many out there) but just install a anti-virus and firewall.... which is easy to get, just go to the packet manager and search for antivirus

You didnt even need to install WinME, you can just boot from the cd and click install once its started up. that will install it, well obviously you need to format the drive (which it gives the option to do) and set up your options.

Let me know which version you have and ill try and help get that thing working.... although if its a server dont you want it to be hard wired? not wireless?
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

The adapter is V1. Yes, I would preferred hardwired however my wife won the bet and it gets wireless. Would it help if it was wired during the install?

Ok, on the anti virus and firewall.

The older HD had Me on it all ready and it's only taking up 1.38 Gig. It had partition magic on it also, so I re-partitioned all the drives. Not that I needed to.

I will be starting the install shortly.

Thank you
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

ok well, after it installs let me know, because if i can tell you to type something and you tell me what you see, this will work a lot better/

https://help.ubuntu.com/commu ... iver/mrv8k (will work with v2 not sure if v1)

Or if you have the install disk, this will be easy, just install the adapter on a windows PC, then take the drivers and put them on a flash drive, so you can put them in a folder on the pclinxos box, and choose them with ndiswrapper
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

MysteryMan wrote: I will be starting the install shortly. Thank you
Problem I think.
The white install bar on the bottom is stuck about 1/8th of the way. Been that way for about 10 min.
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

is their verbose mode? so you can see if its doing anything.... i dont remember....
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

It's booting from the CD and goes to the nice blue screen.
It gives many choices but not a verbose mode. I chose Run Live CD.

Or do I access verbose during the system boot up? If so, how?