Midland 1001Z peak

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
Striker13
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Midland 1001z

Re: Midland 1001Z peak

Post by Striker13 »

I am trying to increase the signal as you stated above however I am not sure what you mean by turning the rv2 all the way up.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

RV2 is the modulation pot which will increase your audio on transmit follow the directions below.
Rockafella wrote: find the RV2 pot (it is labeled "RV2")turn that all the way up (turn it to the left).
Striker13
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Striker13 »

So to increase transmition, is that receiving also? I just need to open it up and do that? I just want to get the best signal out of the little thing for Montana to Washington and back trips. Also offroading/fishing/hunting they are nice to have.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

Striker13 wrote:So to increase transmition
It will just make your audio louder when you speak into the microphone think of RV2 as a volume control for your microphone.
It will not make your transmitted signal any stonger if your radio tansmitting with 4 watts if you turn it up you still will be transmitting with 4 watts.
Striker13 wrote: is that receiving also?
No, it won't do anything for your recieve it will stay the same as it is now.
Striker13
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Striker13 »

Am I suppose to the RV2 or RV4 or both? I see both talked about on here, I twisted to the left (counter clockwise) the RV2 to the max, however the RV4 I only twisted a little ways just because I was unsure.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

Striker13 wrote:Am I suppose to the RV2 or RV4 or both?
Adjust RV2 only that's the pot to turn up the modulation.

RV4 is used to calibrate the RF Indicator or the LEDS (light emitting diodes) that light up when you transmit leave it alone.
Striker13
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Striker13 »

Thanks Night don't exactly know how to do the other little mods you spoke of so I figured twisting something was easy enough :P
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

Don't bother with the other mods your not going to gain much it's not worth the trouble.
Put a power mic on that radio that would make a big difference in the way you sound.
Striker13
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Striker13 »

Yeup been looking on amazon they are only 15 bucks.
sneakers
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by sneakers »

Hey gents,

I want to drop the DK on my 1001z to 2 watts; how would I go about doing this? Perhaps an Internal tweak or just use an external power reducer like the Zetagi RP2?
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

sneakers wrote:I want to drop the DK on my 1001z to 2 watts; how would I go about doing this?
Replace R999 a 10 ohm 1/2 watt resistor that goes to the collector of the driver transistor with a higher value.
sneakers
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by sneakers »

Night Crawler wrote:
sneakers wrote:I want to drop the DK on my 1001z to 2 watts; how would I go about doing this?
Replace R999 a 10 ohm 1/2 watt resistor that goes to the collector of the driver transistor with a higher value.
Many thanks indeed!!
sneakers
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by sneakers »

sneakers wrote:
Night Crawler wrote:
Many thanks indeed!!
Well, I opened her up and looked for R999 and only found C999 and it wasn't anywhere near the driver transisitor, so maybe they've changed the numbering. I'll have to get an expert to do this mod, or just get a one-way attenuator to half the transmit wattage.

Could someone please direct me to a suitable device to half output without affecting my receive strength?

I found the Zetagi RP2 Image
and the Noise Clipper NR400

Are there others I should be looking at?
twb5150
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by twb5150 »

Hello im new as well to the world of CB radios i to have the midland 1001z and im really wanting to do the RV2 mod. after doing this mod will it increase TX watts? if so will i notice the increase in power on my SWR/Power meter? also do i turn the pot all the way counter clockwise?
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

twb5150 wrote:i to have the midland 1001z and im really wanting to do the RV2 mod. after doing this mod will it increase TX watts?
No, it will just increase the percentage of modulation (make your audio louder on transmit)
twb5150 wrote: also do i turn the pot all the way counter clockwise?
Experiment if the audio drops when it's turned counterclockwise turn it clockwise.
twb5150
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by twb5150 »

Thanks for the info Nightcrawler. I do have another Question. a year ago i bought a small 20-35w max linear amp and i was wondering if it would be worth it to hook it up to my midland 1001z? Would it improve my TX? or just cause problems? here is a link to the exact amp i bought. also any info on how the best way to hook it up to my radio (if its worth it) would be Great.. thanks

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~ ... 7dff3f5974
o8k
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by o8k »

Cranking R2 just overmodulates your signal. Yep you will reach out further, yep more power, yep same 4 watt carrier no more no less, but at the price of having poor voice quality to whoever has to listen to you on the other end and on the other channels near the one your key'ed up on that you may bleed all over.

IM with that other guy were is R999 i wana drop my dead key wattage down a bit to make the CB more of a pre-amp. :icon_e_geek:
apollo1234
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by apollo1234 »

Is D203 the modulation limiter? Most radios you have to clip the mod limiter in order for the mod pot RV2 to do any good. Also how do you open the receive on the radio?
Not my first radio.