Galaxy 959 Roger Beep Mod (**Censored**)

If you need assistance with a radio modification or have any questions, this forum is the perfect place to ask. Feel free to pop in and join the discussion!
fastSVT
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Galaxy 959 Roger Beep Mod (**Censored**)

Post by fastSVT »

Hello all. This is my first post. I guess it was only a matter of time before I signed up because most all my internet searches led me here. I have a question about the 959 and the Roger "**Censored**" or "Donkey **Censored**" mod. Before going any further, I must assert that I have done due diligence, and have searched these forums for an answer before posting my question in it's specific nature.

I used the method of replacing the stock R194 220k resistor with a "270k - 2m ohm" resistor, as can easily be found online but I am not authorized to post the link. I (perhaps wrongfully so) thought this was the manner in which one could achieve the "roger **Censored**."

The issue:
I installed a 1m ohm resistor for R194. And it did indeed lower the tone (actually...the "pitch"...not sure why everyone refers to it as the "tone"). The problem is, it wasn't low enough. So I connected two 1m ohm resistors in a series to achieve 2m ohms. But to my surprise, instead of the pitch lowering any further, it remained the same. The initial decrease in pitch from the stock 220k resistor to the 1m ohm resistor was approximately that of 1 octave (for those of you with any technical musical knowledge). More and more resistance does not seem to lower the pitch any lower than the initial 1m ohm resistor did. So am I doing something wrong? Or will this mod only bring the pitch down so far, and something else needs to be done to get the "**Censored**" sound?? Or has some other radio mod interfered with this particular circuit in a manner that has routed the current by different means than the factory schematics suggest?

I don't know much, so perhaps it will be mostly speculation. But all I know is that it has been "peaked and tuned", has purple lights on the meter and the frequency and channel displays, has some kind of echo board installed (They said turbo echo but I know that the adjustment capabilities of this particular echo are not quite as extensive as that of my Cobra 29 with turbo echo...as in it doesn't adjust down as tight (speed of repeat). And has an RFX-150 on the back.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
Mr Peabody
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Mr Peabody »

Well first off welcome to the forum!
From what Im gathering from your question you want a **Censored** noise instead of a beep?
The only thing that I know of is a noise maker sound MODULE and could get a verity of sounds
But it wouldn't be like a beep.
You can also change the capacitor for the roger beep to change the length of the beep.
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by dgbacb4148 »

:bounce: fastSVT, welcome to CBRT from Georgia Dawg country. I cannot help with your question because I really don't have the answer, but good luck with it.
David g. :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
fastSVT
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by fastSVT »

Thank you for the welcome!

Yes, I'm trying to get the **Censored** sound rather than the beep sound. I'm not worried (at least presently) about the length of the beep. But I'm trying to get the low pitched buzz sound (**Censored**) by changing the R194 resistor. Once changed, I run into the problems listed above.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

here is what is posted on another forum to change the beep tone and length. see if this helps. I have tried this a couple of times and never got what I was wanting. so just bought the module to install to get the tone I wanted.

The Roger Beep tone is controlled by R194 which is 220K ohms:
For a higher tone try 150K to 200K ohms.
For a lower tone try 270K to 2M ohms
* The Roger Beep time is controlled by C159 which is 2.2uF@16V DC:
For longer time try 5uF or 10uF@16V DC
For shorter time try 1uF@16V DC
fastSVT
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by fastSVT »

Sonoma,

That is the exact information I was using. The 1m ohm resistor drops the pitch significantly, but no additional amount of resistance (2m ohms, 3m ohms..etc) lowers the pitch any further. So we've both tried it and it isn't working. Must be more to this story...
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

That mod only changes the length and volume, to get that particle sound, (heaven knows why), you will need a sound module like suggested earlier. If you like noise toys I would install them in a separate case/enclosure with mic jacks, that way it goes with any radio your using.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
army1975
Donor
Donor

Post by army1975 »

could always eat a bowl of soup beans afore getting on the radio and go from there. might get a lil smelly all up in there though. oh, waving a paw at cha from the Appalachian mountains in which is where I reside in Asheville, NC. welcome to the site. :cheers:
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
RBR762
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by RBR762 »

I hate to admit it but the beep is a thing of the past
I have a dozen of used ones hangin on a nail at the old workbench. Truck drivers hate them,sidebanders hate them etc.... I remember a time when I had to have one in every radio,kept my tech in business during the 80s90s. Robert
bbqradio
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by bbqradio »

Well, in my parts, truckers hate it on AM, but the local side-banders are almost all using it.

I love it on SSB, but on AM, in certain trucks (Kenworth T-800), the external speaker is so close to the ears, and the RBs are so high-volumed compared to conversational voices, that it rings the ears. They do come through way too loudly.

My 2¢.