Need mic unknown information.

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
Windwalker
Verified

Need mic unknown information.

Post by Windwalker »

I have a 10 - 12 meter Chinese radio. The mic is bad so I want to get a new one for it. It is a 4 pin mic. The problem I am having is that I see many 4 pin mics on Fleabay and such. Prewired with descriptions that say they fit most all 4 pin mic radios cb and ham. While looking at many different mics I see noise cancelling, standard coffin type mics and power mics. The specs on these mics have different ohms. Commonly 500 or 1000 ohms.
So my question is 2 things.
1. How do I find out how many ohms I need

2. What will happen if I use the smaller or larger ohm mic.

The info in the listings is not clear as to whether a noise cancelling mic OR a power mic has the higher or lower ohms. ...
I have no way in finding out in a manual for the radio what it requires... The radio does have the power mics in the software and can be set for each mode. Am Fm USB LSB and I think cw is preset standard as it dosent need a mic for that function or mode.
Some of the mics I see say 10 meter SSB radios and others say nothing but general info.
Basically I just need a regular mic but I dont know what to buy even though they are not a lot of money.
Due to the wide variety of mics and partial info or descriptions is making it confusing.
Please help

WW Global
eyecue
Donor
Donor

Post by eyecue »

Simplest way is to use a scope and signal generator at an audio frequency. inject the signal into the radio and set the amplitude on the scope to some value you can read. Now insert a potentiometer in series with the input and measure again and adjust the potentiometer till the scope shows 1/2 of the amplitude of the original signal. Remove the potentiometer and measure its resistance. That is your impedance.
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

Thanx eyecue.
The problem is that I dont have scopes and such. I do know a certain amount about electricity and MOSTLY I understand what you are saying I just dont have the ability to do it.
My electrical tools is limited to a multi meter, hand tools and an Non Contact Voltage Tester.
That said ////////
Could I use my Ohm meter to test the mic but which pins would I use. Or would I have to take it apart and OHM out the speaker itself. I really dont think the speaker would have 500 or 1000 Ohms. Especially since it is so small in size.
////////////////////
Anyway what would happen if I used a smaller or larger amount of Ohms.
This makes me wonder if Power Mics have variable Ohms through the ability to adjust the amount of audio to prevent squeeling.
I think many people who replace a microphone dont even pay attention to these specs and just go by the number of pins. Thats not good enough for me I want the right stuff to get the right audio and not possibly damage the radio if even over time. Its a special radio to me...
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I never noticed a lot of difference in most replacement microphones, you would be more interested in the microphone's frequency response.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

Yes I can understand that. But this 10-12 meter radio has the power mic in it. This is not an SDR radio but it does have software in it along with the regular stuff similar to a Cobra 29. It has a menu driven software section so to speak. It does have the power mic in the radio but it also has settings like TOT, SWR safety, Tone generator and a total of 26 different software options. Along with the usual squelch, RF Gain etc. I really wish I could find out what the higher or lower Ohms do to the radio. And the mic has a channel up and down button and a mute button. Im gonna investigate some more but I may have to buy 2 mics with the different ohms and get radio checks to see what works best.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Okay, the stock mic uses diodes for the up/down function and the mute is just a switch in the audio lead. It can be wired up but I'm not familiar with radio. I did back a while add the micro buttons to a Astatic Red Devil mic for a AT-6666 but after using it a couple weeks, sold it to another as the AT-6666 didn't need amplification.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

I think Im gonna contact the factory in China and see what they say.
This is a very unique radio and I want to keep it alive !!
JetSetter
Verified

Post by JetSetter »

Hey Wind, I also have a 10-12 meter rig. Any good power mic will work. Astatic power mics are really good. I use a Superstar DM-100 Tornado with my RCI-2995DXCF

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

Jet I am looking at Dynamic mics. The radio has the power mic in it factory. Noise cancelling is also wanted. Im gonna try a good mic and hope for the best !!

WW Global