After reading through Intro to Radios

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Broadside
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

After reading through Intro to Radios

Post by Broadside »

So I just spent a good deal of time reading through intro to radios. And boy, let me tell you. I’m a nuclear propulsion plant operator and have to understand nuclear theory but this radio stuff is throwing me for a loop. Here is what I gathered.
For a mobile set up in my truck (which is lifted by the way so any rigid antenna would be a bad idea as the top of my cab it’s at 8’) a good whip antenna is what suites me best. My application is more so for fun than it would ever be for purpose. Using it on highways, down trail roads when I’m 4x4ing or using it to talk to the logging trucks that work down my one lane drive way. That meaning I don’t need a high power set up, correct? A cheap radio with a good whip antenna, mounted to the aft most post hole on my bed side, tying the whip down over my cab when stored and letting it loose for use would be acceptable. My bed side is all steel unlike new trucks so I’ll have a good ground, and a decent ground plane.
Would I’m posting this for is for one of you experienced folks to tell me I’m understanding the basics, and to tell me what is a good cheap radio and a good whip antenna that I should use as my set up for this application. I’m actually building a full custom interior for my truck and I need to have the radio in hand to know exactly how to build my dash around it. So this is where I stand. Please upgrade me where need be. Hope to be on the wave lengths soon.
🏴☠️MMN2 Shane Jackson, US NAVY🏴☠️
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

Thank you for your service, shipmate! I was in the Navy stationed on the USS Independence CV-62 from 94-98 in Yokosuka, Japan.

Donate here

Broadside
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Broadside »

Oh then you know me as a dirty nuke 😂
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

Broadside wrote: February 25th, 2019, 2:20 pm Oh then you know me as a dirty nuke 😂
Hot Rackers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donate here

Broadside
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Broadside »

Ah yee would think! But I am a pampered boomer sailor and have a rack all to myself! SSBNs, never go anywhere worth talking about, but have the easiest sea tours.
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

Broadside wrote: February 25th, 2019, 2:24 pm Ah yee would think! But I am a pampered boomer sailor and have a rack all to myself! SSBNs, never go anywhere worth talking about, but have the easiest sea tours.
Are you a CB rate?

Donate here

Broadside
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Broadside »

A whose a what? I’m a MMN use to just be MM until about 2 years ago.
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

CB is Construction Builder... They have it good... Shore duty for days!

Donate here

MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Okay,, okay,, on the "squid" talk,, lets get back to CB's..

There is a company that makes a very nice stake pocket mount for antennas, they aren't a sponsor so I can't post a link, google it, the company name begins with a "G", there are others that pop up also. A good tuned 102" whip on the bed of a pickup, can't go wrong antenna wise.
As for a radio, since you say you are custom installing I'd go with the Stryker 955HPC. excellent radio right out of the box and you can customize the color, meter setting, etc.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

MDYoungblood wrote: February 26th, 2019, 2:17 pm Okay,, okay,, on the "squid" talk,, lets get back to CB's..

3's

Greg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Donate here

Double J
Donor
Donor

Post by Double J »

If you can get a cheap short antenna and mount it on the front bumber with a cheap radio that you could design the dash to - then: get a good radio and don't put it in your dashboard but get a good antenna to put on rear bumper - you could then talk yourself ...lol
P = E x I