ICOM 737 SSB problems jumping freq some

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
Jimbo165
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

ICOM 737 SSB problems jumping freq some

Post by Jimbo165 »

I just got a Icom 737 and when using it on sideband it keeps jumping or drifting. I set Rit and Pbt so people sound perfectly clear and within a few transmissions people will go either donald duck or mickey mouse sounding. The people i am transmitting to say it does the same on their receive end also. The frequency counter shows no change in frequency. The radio works great on am no problems there. Any help will be appreciated Thanks Jimbo
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Pop the top and check the FL-30 filter, this was a known problem with that radio, I believe you can just pop it out, check the leads and pop it right back in.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Jimbo165
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Jimbo165 »

I just bought a used icom 737 when using it on ssb i can clarify someone in and after a few transmissions they will go mickey mouse or donald duck sounding . I can readjust and they are clear again but continues this way constantly. When transmitting they say it happens the same on receiver end. The frequency counter does not change at all during this drifting or jumping. The lights are burn out that lights up the frequency display so i have to use a flashlight to see it cannot find out how to replace them anywhere they are behind counter. Help needed please.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram »

That has a crystal oscillator, problem is the crystal degrades more or less and this happens. You can realign it but it will happen again. Search for a Ham radio tech that is familiar with this rig. You might even be able to do it yourself if you have the tools and equipment. It should be better on the lower bands then the upper bands.
CB: TRC-450, Imax
Ham: FTDX101MP, FT-991A ,FT8900-2 meter crossband rig
Ham Antennas: 570', 500', wire loops, 2M Copper Slim Jim X2, CG-144 mobile
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello Jimbo165,
I merged this topic with a topic you started earlier.

Lost Ram is right about the crystal, it happens but your in luck, those crystals are still around and were used in other radios. You could also go with a "High Stability Crystal Unit" model CR-282, they are big bucks new but you might find one used if I don't beat you to it first. Either way taking the main board out is a task to solder them in. While it's apart would be the time to change the bulbs. I heard they make replacement LED but I think they would be very bright so I would go with a original axial bulb.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
nk14zp
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by nk14zp »

It probably will not help you but to others new to ham ssb rigs make sure the notch is centered.
Jimbo165
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Jimbo165 »

I thank you all for the reply's I opened radio and did find a board not completely seated but engaged i pushed it in farther. Next thing was i accidentally knocked it off bench not a good thing. LOL Crazy thing is radio working better now not 100% better but better. I will research more about filters and crystal and replace them also. MD Youngblood your are right about light bulbs i found that there was to much to remove to change them for me right now. I will send it out for that. I have been using radio on 10 meter USB and they said i did not drift or tone changed maybe dropping it helped. LOL