Galaxy 2517 issues

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
movrider
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Galaxy 2517 issues

Post by movrider »

I have a same as new 10 year old Galaxy 2517 that has had very little air time mainly because of verified reports of muffled audio when using an amplified mic. I purchase new from a dealer who had it shipped from Galaxy and did the peak/tune for me before I picked it up. I told him I wanted nothing clipped and I was assured me that he does not clip anything. well I opened her up today for the first time and noticed what appeared to be a missing 2SC945P transistor in Q57 and modulation potentiometer has no affect so I am guessing this was the mod limiter since it was right near the potentiometer, only thing is all the info I could find tells me the limiter is Q39 which is intact? should be pretty simple to replace that missing part myself would that fix my dead potentiometer?

The other issue is I get a intermittent buzzing noise in my receive that gives me a huge carrier signal that I can best describe as an oscillation? If I shut it off and power back up it will be fine for awhile (hrs or days) I found reports and and a couple fixes for this issue posted in several places concerning TR602 on the power supply board oscillating. I don't think this fix will pertain to my radio as it was factory built with a switching power supply... any ideas?
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

The Galaxy DX2517 uses a Ranger EPT690010Z board, if you search that a lot of info will come up, I can't link it as they aren't members or sponsors here. First thing to check is the power supply voltage, it shouldn't be more than 13.8v, especially if your radio is a newer with mosfet driver and finals, doing this might cure the buzzing oscillation.
I would have a alignment done if possible to make sure the radio back within spec, having this radio peaked and tuned just isn't worth the couple extra watts.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Sparky1
Donor
Donor

Post by Sparky1 »

You can also try cbtricks.com they have a lot of info on the 2517.