Wilson 2000 Trucker SWR serious problems.

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Wilson 2000 Trucker SWR serious problems.

Post by Mentor3006 »

So trying to get a lower antenna than the 102, that works great but whacks the crud out of everything I drive near, I figured I would try a Wilson 2000 Trucker since my Wilson 1000 works so well on my SUV.

Well, more of the same fertilizer with trying to get the SWR set right. But something quirky here...

The back panel of the package says to set the whip length to 49.25" exposed with a 10" shaft, which I have, but the entire whip is 49.25", so how exactly am I supposed to get this thing to actually mount up?

Like I said I am trying to get a good antenna that will give me great performance and flat SWR while not being sky high so I can minimize my issues with parking garages...

Any recommendations for tuning this antenna, or perhaps where to source a proper whip for this thing?

I see nowhere on the package or online for how to access any sort of support from Wilson for this thing.
Coils = loss.
Good audio, Quality coax, sturdy mounts, good springs, and a big stainless stick get you out and give you ears!
Mobile 1:President McKinley II FCC, Realistic 102" SS whip, President DigiMike
Mobile 2:Same as 1 but with a WIlson 1000.
Base: Realistic TRC-465 with Realistic noise cancelling power mic. 102" SS whip.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hmm, think the problem is the instructions but looking at a pic of the antenna, the top piece with the 2 set screws is included in that length.
The antenna is listed as a 60" antenna and can only find a spec that says the whip is 49". I'm not sure of your particle application but install the whip so both set screws tighten on the whip and start from there.
Most antenna manufacturer's make their antennas long so they can be adjusted (clipped). If you find it is too short you can lengthen it with a stud and stubby 3/8-24 althread.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Post by Mentor3006 »

Okay so yeah, the instructions on the package blow chunks. But let's start with an update to my tales of woe...

So to reiterate, i am trying to do something I probably shouldn't, and that is to reduce the overall height of my antenna.

I have a 102" SS whip with the corona ball missing. Knocked it off on a low hanging tree limb in downtown Houston. That is of course connected to a 6" stainless steel barrel spring, and that assembly is mounted via a van fender channel mount to the furthest point forward on my drivers front fender on my 93 Ford Econoline van.

I work a hybrid schedule which means I have to drive into the office several times a week, and park in an enclosed parking garage with a max ceiling height of 9', and the tip of my antenna is straight up at 13'.

My SWR is virtually flat, 1.0 on 40 down to about 6 where it ekes up a puny hair to about 1.05 on channel 1.

My long term goal with this van is I am restoring / customizing it as I hate Sprinters / Transits and LOVE the Sportsmobile conversion, so I am basically restoring / upating it, and one of those updates is I am having a 4wd conversion done. So that effects my height

Current van height not counting antenna 7' even to highest point on pop top with top down.

4wd conversion lifts the suspension 6"

Current tires are 30" diameter 30.2" (245/75R16)
Post conversion tire diameter 34.53" (35x12.50/17)

Total added height 10.33"

I HATE smashing my antenna into everything, and I try to steer away from low hanging branches, but the houses on either side of me on my street have low branches crossing the street fully, and there are a TON of low branches in Downtown Houston over the roads.

So the attempt with the Firstik (Fail SWR problems) and now the Wilson 2000 (fail SWR problems) is to keep my overall height including antenna under 9'.

I had issues finding anything about CB Antennas on Wilson Electronics website, and after doing more digging found out why. Wilson Electronics no longer makes Wilson CB and Ham radio antennas. That part of the business is now part of RoadPro. I did get a hold of Road Pro and I asked them about it and their feedback is what I thought but don't want to accept, I guess I need to.

The issue is too much of the antenna is below the height of the roof of the van, causing signal reflection off of the metal surfaces of the van. Yay...

So I guess the Wilson 2K goes back to Amazon. I am not stuck with the Firestik though. One of the guys in the 4x4 club needs an antenna and was going to buy a Firestik, we took my Firestik, and my spring, he got some funky mount that bolts to his spare tire carrier, and we set the SWR straight away, not as good as the 102, but at 1.1 on 1 and 1.2 on 40 more than acceptable. He's happy and one less bit of clutter in my shop.
Coils = loss.
Good audio, Quality coax, sturdy mounts, good springs, and a big stainless stick get you out and give you ears!
Base: Realistic TRC-465 with Realistic noise cancelling power mic. 102" SS whip.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I am trying to figure out your mount and it's position.
First thing is don't use a spring with the Wilson antenna, not designed for one.
I understand the hitting everything as I run a 102" whip on the back left corner of my pickup level with the the top of the bed, total height is 13' 11'', living in PA there is several low clearance bridges on roads I have to use.
Wilson is no longer made under that brand name but the new owner is Charles Electronics, LLC , which makes Maco, Skipshooter, Gizmotchy, as well as ham antennas.
If you do send the antenna back you might try a Hustler HQ27, they are about 55" long and my experience with them, they tune very well and the design will get most of your signal above the roof line.

3's

Greg

Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Post by Mentor3006 »

Hopefully this gets the point accross. The antenna is on this stainless steel mount, I use a Firestik FireRing fitting equipped coax, so the upper doesn't get as good pressure distribution as say a ProComm giant stud mount. The barrel spring is the first one I have had that didn't start rusting within a month of install so that is a bonus. Can't really see it in this shot, sorry, but I have a 12ga ground strap attached to the mount for added grounding. Probably going to upsize that eventually but so far so good.

[Please login or register to view this link]

Looking at it in profile, you can see how far forward on the fender it is mounted, that is on the bolt that is furthest forward holding the fender to the inner support.

[Please login or register to view this link]

For now my make do is kind of hideous, but I just let the 102 smash stuff, when I get to the parking garage I pull in off the street banging and smashing as I go, get out of traffics way and pull the antenna back and use a plastic coated binder clip to hold the antenna to the vans rain gutter... It works but is a PITA.

FWIW, the 102 is recycled sort of. I had on on a 1984 Jeep CJ I had years ago, I actually have two of them, the one I knocked the corona ball off of has better SWR so it is what I use...
Coils = loss.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Okay, pics are great.
The ground strap wasn't necessary if the mount is firmly bolted to metal but look at the hood for one, hoods are not bonded (grounded), most have a rubber seal around the perimeter, the lock and hinges use a Teflon bushing to prevent rattles, you might want to check the roof too, some manufacturer's use a neoprene sealer between the roof and body.
Looking at the pics the antenna is far enough away from the windshield pillar to cause any interference.
I never cared for the FireRing coax, the mount disfigures if you tighten them too much and eventually short plus the coax they used was not the best for the price.
I think I have a half dozen of those whip hold-down clamps somewhere, I use a bungee cord or just say the heck with it when going into a parking garage but my pickup don't fit in most around here. Don't worry about losing the corona ball but they did help in that hold-down.

3's

Greg